Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP65 volume lower...why? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: CP65 volume lower...why?
Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 09:54 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a CP65........what would cause the volume to drop 1.5 numbers on the main fader control.
L C R and suround seem to be working fine but the volume level is lower then last used.
Any ideas?

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2005 10:02 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has a remote fader selection button been pushed or something?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exciter lamp/leds dimmer for some reason?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-22-2005 01:03 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fader knob could just be loose/shifted on the base. In that case, there is no problem with the CP, the knob is just fooling you as to where the fader is.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 06:37 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither main fader or remote fader was not touched....
The exciter lamp voltage is the same....
And the main fader knob is not loose........

could a pre amp be weak..???

now what?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-22-2005 07:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you playing the same print? Occasionally you get a stupid movie like Charlie's Angels or xXx that is WAY too loud.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 07:52 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
I have been running only one test reel with many trailers only.
If the exciter wires were reversed + , - ,on the exciter power supply.......could that effect the volume level at play back?
I was at level 4 on the CP65 fader, and now at level 5 to get the same sound listening level........wierd.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2005 08:48 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a tick......are you using a Jax light red led system or a system that requires a line amp between the solar cell and the pre-amps. If so there could be a problem with the line amp.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 10:04 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using a plain white exciter lamp on a Simplex E7 and a Simplex SH1000 sound head, with a 9V bulb at 7 volts powered by a Kelmar exciter power supply, and a CP65, dolby tone aligned etc...........home screen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-22-2005 10:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's back up a minute. What has changed since this problem occured?

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-22-2005 11:30 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Vollmers
I was at level 4 on the CP65 fader, and now at level 5 to get the same sound listening level........wierd.

Hopefully you're taking actual SPLs and not just "listening".

Assuming you have measured the voltage at the exciter lamp and it is correct, perhaps the objective lens has dirt/oil on it or maybe the lamp filament has sagged.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few days ago I had to move the sound rack several feet.
I disconnected the following wires.
Exciter power wire
two speaker wires
optical sound wires
I made sure that these wires were connected to the same locations on the CP65.
No volume settings were changed at all.
The only question on re wireing was the plus and minus wire to the exciter power supply maybe reversed.......could that effect the volume level?
The exciter voltage is the same.....I checked that.
I also cleaned the optical lens for dirt...none.
After the move.......I loaded the same trailer reel...and noticed the differant volume level.......much lower.
so.......?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-23-2005 10:46 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can you run pink noise and set all the sound preasure levels. If you thing two wires are hooked up wrong switch them and see if this changes anything.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-23-2005 12:06 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you have to add length to any of the wiring?

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 12:08 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No wire length was added.........just moved the sound rack from one side of the projector to the other side.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: