Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Changeover wont manually close (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Changeover wont manually close
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 04:29 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a problem thats been bugging me for a while. Our change over won't close if we flip the switch to close it. It will open via the switch. I have swapped switches 3 times, same issue (opens but wont close). The changeover opens and closes just fine when the cuq strips are read. I have followed the wiring..all is good. The switch is good. The changeover seems good. The failsafe is good. This projector is about 4 months old (Simplex 35 Milineum). I wish I could tell you the changeover model, but it slips my mind. Any ideas where to look now? This is driving me nuts! Could there be a bad board somewhere? I didnt notice anything burned or cracked and all plugs and wires are firmly seated. Thanks for any ideas.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The changeover may be the kelmar brand. With it working with the cues you can rule out a bad selenoid. Has this always been a problem or something that has just started to happen?

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the automation that is being used?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 07:41 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a newer problem withing the last week. I thought I ruled out just about everything. I am truely stumped.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-22-2005 07:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya gotta answer all of the questions if you want us to help you as best as possible......

quote: Scott Manley
What is the automation that is being used?
Also, is the manual switch on the automation itself, or is it an external switch?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 01:35 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I know, but in my first post on this topic I said the brand of changeover slipped my mind. I havent been back to work in a few days. As soon as I do, I'll write it down and post it. Sorry.

The switch is on the projector.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-23-2005 02:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..if you have an Strong X-90 console attached to that Mil2000, open up the back to where you see the motherboard where the automation (CNA-100...if this is your automation???) cables are running down to. The left connection plug, being a six or eight pin connection plug, one of the wires into that plug isn't making contact with the connector socket on the motherboard. What happens is that pin will unseat itself from the connector and has to be pushed back in connector and be reseated.

I had one of these same Kelmar dowsers do the same at one theatre-bugged me to death on wondering if one of the selinoids(push-pull type under the square cover) was bad. Replace the pull selinoid and nothing. I began to trace things out and found this problem mentioned. Pushed that pin back into that connector until I heard the pin "click" in the connector for proper seating, and the dowser now works fine.

Another trick on those Kelmar dowsers, is to take that cover off, and take a bit of vaseline on a "Q"-tip and "slick" up the square shaft on each side that rides over the selenoids where the two sets of screws slide through the spring catches, which will help the opening and closing sequence of the dowser to operate much more smoothly.

--hope this might help your problem.

-Monte

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-23-2005 03:24 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that it works fine with automation...so that rules out ANY problem with the solenoids or the changeover device in general.

Since you've changed the manual switches and checked ALL the wiring and that did not solve the problem, and since it works fine with the automation, (to me) it sounds like it may be a burned NC relay/switch contact in the automation... if it is wired thru that way...hopefully it is as in good practice. (Brad has a good point about the manual douser switch on the automation)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-23-2005 03:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
The switch is on the projector.
That doesn't actually answer the question, since many people refer to the lamphouse/console as the projector, much in the same way many people will say the switch is on the projector, but in reality the switch is on the automation which just happens to be mounted in the console, which people sometimes refer to as the projector. See what I mean?

So the question is, precisely where is the switch located? Is this something the installation tech added on, or does it look like it was something that came straight from the factory?

Still need to know what automation model you are using too. It wouldn't hurt to list the model lamphouse console as well.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 03:38 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bad...The switch is on the console part of the auctomation panel. It wasnt an add on, it is factory. I think I better get the manufacter models before I start to sound any less intelligent. I know it is the black box with the push/pull deal inside. I was pretty sure I checked all the plugs and made sure they were seated properly.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-23-2005 05:23 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you have an Strong X-90 console with a CNA-100 automation being that the switch is located to the left of the touchscreen panel in row with the lamp and motor switches.

Since you've "condemned" the switch thing by replacing the switch, follow the wires from behind the switch to the connection on the motherboard. Wonder if you have an open in the plug, or wire itself that attaches to the motherboard, or you have a burned copper inlay on the mother board itself. Somewhere down the string, the A/B action isn't doing its thing when using the rocker switch, yet automation part of this action works fine.

Now, the simple question: Why the usage of the manual dowser, since the automation part of the dowser usage IS working normally?

thx-Monte

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The manual dowser isnt being used.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-23-2005 05:07 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh. So you're using a different source for dowser operation -outside of the automation then?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No...the automation successully opens and closes the change over, so there is no "problem" so to speak. However, when I said manually, I ment physically flipping the switch.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-23-2005 08:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my...flipping which switch? Please be very precise and detailed in explaining where this switch is mounted and so forth. You're just running us all on a wild goose chase here.

Can you take a picture and upload it?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: