Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie wrap detector?

Author Topic: Christie wrap detector?
Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2005 08:31 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the closeup of the AW3 from the Vasity Theatre pictures there appears to be some sort of brain-wrap detector installed at the top of the platter tree. I have never seen this on a Christie platter before. Is that what that is, or am I seeing wrong?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2005 09:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeppers, it's a Strong wrap detector adapted to fit on the AW3 unit. It uses a bracket arm that is attached to the tower then the swivel bracket is attached to this arm and then the the wrap detector is attached to that arm. This wrap detector being on a swivel, allows for lateral motion for film travel, and there is a tension thumb screw that adjusts the failsafe roller tension from a hair trigger action to a delayed action. I usually take off that thumb screw to keep the system safe due to immediate shutdown.

The detector is wired in series with the failsafe so that either one opens will dump the system.

The actual Christie wrap detector is the 196270-001 wrap detector that replaces the lower roller assembly on the AW3(r) units, and is wired the same-in series with the failsafe.

-Monte

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2005 09:58 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that does look like the Strong detector. That's what I thought it was.

Regarding the Christie detector you mentioned, I didn't know they even had one. I've never seen one, and I've seen a lot of Christie platters. I wonder why they're not more popular.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2005 10:08 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the Strong unit is the 2468153 and lists from the catalog at $351.00. I don't know what the price for the Christie is, but your supplier can find that out for you.

Prob why the Christie isn't as popular due to the quality of Christie (even though I've had many a wraps due to "poly" film and AW3r's and wish that I had a wrap detector back then), or no one knows about it.

-thx Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2005 10:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually if you have a Strong or Potts(and pans)platter system you don't need to buy a wrap detector. Add another roller on a piece of flat alumnium stock bent to the correct angles to the slide tree on the back of the column. Skip threading the outgoing film over the lower column outgoing roller and thread it over that added roller you just mounted on the slider. If you end up with a wrap it will cause the slider assy to climb higher and shut down the platter. Take up effectively stops and down goes the failsafe arms and a shut down occurs. This is a poormans version but I have done many of these and they work really well. Cost is less than 20 bucks for another guidance roller assy.

Static problems are alot less today than they were a few years ago thanks to John P.!

Mark

Stephen Frazza
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 02:02 AM      Profile for Stephen Frazza   Author's Homepage   Email Stephen Frazza   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I have a couple stong/potts platters and would like to try what you mentioned about this homebrew wrap detector.

You wouldn't happen to have some sort of diagram or sketch of this do you?I've reread what you wrote a couple times but a can't quite picture anything in my head that would seam like it would work.So any further details on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tristan Lane
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 01:49 AM      Profile for Tristan Lane   Email Tristan Lane   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought we cleared up the whole Christie wrap detector issue months ago. Geez.

[uhoh]

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 11:44 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If someone mentioned it, I probablly don't remember. I have never actually seen one, so it didn't stick out in my mind. [Smile]

[ 04-23-2005, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Ken Lackner ]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-23-2005 11:07 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I've got a really good wrap detector in my booth!

-

[Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2005 07:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Frazza
I have a couple stong/potts platters and would like to try what you mentioned about this homebrew wrap detector.

You wouldn't happen to have some sort of diagram or sketch of this do you?I've reread what you wrote a couple times but a can't quite picture anything in my head that would seam like it would work.So any further details on this would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen,

I will do one in the shop later this week and post photos here for all to see....

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: