Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » PION Projector Opinons?

Author Topic: PION Projector Opinons?
Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2005 06:27 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been offered a PION projector model S35 with 2 lens manual turret. What are these machines like? Are they still made? Are parts avaliable? Does anyone have a picture of this model? By the description it sound a little like a Cinemecannica or Prevost? It has a 3phase motor, can that be wired to run off a single phase?

|  IP: Logged

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2005 07:43 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello !

I disadvise to you to wire the motor to run with a single phase through a capacitor because the electrical system is unbalanced.
The motor will heat excessively, its torque is not the good one and finaly the motor will burn [thumbsdown] (I knew such a situation formerly with an extractor of gas for arc lamp : the motor burned at the end of one day !)
For the Pion projector, sorry I have no information [Confused]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-19-2005 09:15 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pion was the oldest manufacturer in Italy until they went out of business in the early 1990's. some parts are available through Veronese in Italy.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-19-2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the correct values and a relay on a timer most 3 phase motors will be happy on single phase
It is important that when the value is choosen that one measures that the current draw in the motor is the same on each leg. The starting requirements are different than the run value so that is why a timing relay is best
better yet is to use a invertor

Alejandro Lopez
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2005 09:58 AM      Profile for Alejandro Lopez   Email Alejandro Lopez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi: You must use a frecuency regulator that electronically converts mains to three phase. And you can also set different projection speeds, such as 18 f.p.s., 30 f.p.s., etc. and determine time for progressive start up or start down ramps.
Pio Pion projectors are no longer made, but some italian manufacturers provide spare parts for them as also red readers for cyan tracks. I was told they are fine machines. You can get more information on an italian forum about "proiezionisti" where one of the members use Pio Pion as the nickname.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Alejandro.

Alejandro Lopez
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2005 03:23 PM      Profile for Alejandro Lopez   Email Alejandro Lopez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are more pics.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Alejandro.

Alejandro Lopez
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2005 10:20 AM      Profile for Alejandro Lopez   Email Alejandro Lopez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few more pics of the Pio Pion S 35 projector and some portables too.
 -
The pictures of the machine above are from a theater in Iceland.
 -
A portable version of the Pio Pion
 -
 -
Lamphouse with a 1K incandescent bulb
 -
 -
This portable is in a really little theater, in Iceland too.
 -
 -
6000 feet reel arms

Alejandro.

Alejandro Lopez
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 03:11 AM      Profile for Alejandro Lopez   Email Alejandro Lopez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Pio Pionīs logo. As you can see on it they were stablished at Milano, like Cinemeccanica, Prevost and, I think, Fumeo.
 -
Hereīs another different model.
 -
This is an old Pio Pion projector set for mobile cinema on rural villages in Italy.

Alejandro.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2005 06:21 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the great information everyone. I have made my mind up to go ahead with getting this machines, so long as the shipping does not work out to much.

Thanks very much Alejandro for all those great pictures. The portables look like a normal S35 size head on a small stand and with a small lamp house. Is that correct? If so then I am very happy to get this machine. [thumbsup]

Gordon can you explain a little more about wiring the 3 phase to run on single phase?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: