Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to do 3D Interlock. Selsyns the best way to go? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How to do 3D Interlock. Selsyns the best way to go?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-18-2005 11:28 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carried from here: Basement/Penthouse Readers Thread It is sounding like these things (electronic controllers) are run just for speed control, but what about interlock -- are selsyns still the way to interlock for for 3D? I know interlock is used extensively for passing a print to a number of projectors, but that doesn't need to have absolute; what would be the best/easiest setup for frame-accurate reliability to lock up two projectors for 3D? Can the electronic controllers with tach talk to each other to keep two machines locked? If I go selsys, that would mean that I would only need to get the bracket to hold the selsyn and wouldn't require changing the existing motors. Don't the controllers need the motors swapped out for synchronous motors? Sounds like a much bigger job than just adding the selsyns....I think I even have the brackets.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-18-2005 04:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would use 2 Baldor drives ad motors and slave them together.

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 08:51 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,
The couple of 3d's that I've done use Baldor motors and controllers. They are sync'd via a Baldor Smartmove. Baldor actually helped us writing the original program. When you "home" them, they are dead on, and stay that way. It's pretty cool, if you turn the Master motor by hand, the slave will stay right with it.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-18-2005 08:55 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The absolute BEST 3D interlock system IS (as Mark and Richard mentioned) the Baldor drives.

Have used them on 35mm, 870mm, and 1570mm projectors at up to 5hp...perfect sync and shutter phase.

It's almost spooky to turn the master projector by hand and have the slave exactly follow frame to frame. YIKES!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-18-2005 10:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,

The Baldors are great but what really impressed me the most was the Allen Bradley automation system that monitors all the critical aspects in the 15/70 system. That is one really impressive system and one that no one else has. I think it even reminds the operator when his bladder is getting full........ [beer]

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-18-2005 10:14 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing that I didn't like about the AB drives was when I was doing a 48fps 1570 rolling loop projector, and had it working perfectly, I discovered that the AB controller was wrong in it's display and the projector was only running at 42 fps! A POS! Never AGAIN AB!

(Yeah, I know! I was STUPIT to trust the display without a strobe verification!) So shoot me! [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-18-2005 10:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I wasn't talking about drives, was talking about the automation system. The projection system automation that the show controller controled...... The drives in Lehi are all Baldor.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-18-2005 10:50 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh... Ummm... nevermind.... [Wink]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-19-2005 04:02 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how much $$$ are we talking about here? And how complicated is the installation, i.e., replacing the motors, going to 1800 gears, etc.? I was under the impression the Jeff Joseph and his tech team that did the festival at the Egyptian did it their whole setup just with selsyns -- although I could be wrong on this -- and mind you, I didn't see every film -- I missed a couple of the morning screenings -- I can vouch for the fact that none that I saw ever went out of frame or a shutter go out of sync.

Hey, if I can get mine to be that reliable, I would be a real happy pup. If I could do it with just the installation of the selsyns that we already own and didn't have to spend a fortune, that would be even better.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2005 07:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Typically motor cost per machine for the motor and controller is about 600.00 for the Baldors. Since you "dial" in the speed you want it can run at what ever speed you want it to. 2 units have the capability to slave together. Its high tech stuff [thumbsup] . Selsyns will also work fine. I just prefer to to keep things that I install up to date and currrent. You can also use the Baldors to project silent film at the correct speeds, you just need to add three blade shutters. Or you can project that "Cinestage" print of 80 days at 30 fps! Thats something that Jeff's selsyns won't do......

Mark

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2005 12:29 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Or you can project that "Cinestage" print of 80 days at 30 fps! Thats something that Jeff's selsyns won't do......

I thought it was the "Todd-AO" prints of 80 DAYS that ran at 30fps. "Cinestage" prints ran at 24fps.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2005 08:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Linfesty
I thought it was the "Todd-AO" prints of 80 DAYS that ran at 30fps. "Cinestage" prints ran at 24fps.

Hummm, I thought they were 30 fps.... but at least the film would be over ALOT quicker......

Mark

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-20-2005 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
I didn't see every film -- I missed a couple of the morning screenings -- I can vouch for the fact that none that I saw ever went out of frame or a shutter go out of sync.
I saw every film, and never did the shutters go out of sync. The only film that went out of sync was Gorilla At Large, and that was because one of the negatives was missing one frame about 2/3 of the way through the second reel, so that wasn't the projector's fault. Thankfully, Bob F. was able to fix that print in time for Pete's show in New York.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 08:50 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately I did miss the 3D screenings at the Egyptian, but Jeff Joseph was kind enough to show me his personal 3D setup at his shop in Palmdale, and we screened some of the prints from the show. He used the same techs who set up the Egyptian, and his booth used selsyns with perfect results FWIW

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2005 07:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention that selsyns should not be left in the locked mode and not turning for long periods of time. This may cause them to overheat and possible damage may result. Its best to lock them just before the start of a show and then unlock them right after.

The nice part about the electronic drive is that you have variable film run speed and variable run-up and run-down time. There is also an adjustable current overload sense that could possibly save your gear train in the event of a bad film pile up or bind up of the mechanism...

Just thought I'd mention this stuff too.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: