Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » slide projector setup with automation

Author Topic: slide projector setup with automation
Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-16-2005 12:04 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a question maybe someone can answer or has attempted. Our current slide projectors are wired in using the motor to cut the thing off at start up. It basically sends a continuous current to a contactor that the projector is plugged in to. we use CFS consoles. At some point this year we are going to be switching out some of the consoles with Christie Consoles and the rest of the CFS consoles will have Christie 3Q automations installed and the new consoles will have the same automation.

My question is has anyone attempted to try to wire in or found a way to wire in the slide projectors to kick off at the start cue when the dowser opens and come back on when the dowser closes. I think that would make for a better transition from slide to film than the blank screen prior to picture hitting the screen

|  IP: Logged

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2005 02:14 AM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
use a latching relay in parallel with the changeover. I wired door magnets up to an automation using a latching relay to trigger them to close on feature start and hold open on credits start. works great.

latching relays can be purchased at graingers.

Jason Whitlock
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2005 02:17 AM      Profile for Jason Whitlock   Email Jason Whitlock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have 3Q automation at our theatre.. and yea they do turn off as soon as you hit the green button and don't turn back on until the failsafe drops. I'm sure you can find a way to patch in a relay to the dowser control terminal that toggles everytime the dowser is toggled.. and have that relay control the convenience outlet.. I'll take a closer look at our automation and see if that's even possible.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-16-2005 02:17 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the CFS automation board there should be three terminals at one end of the large terminal strip labeled 'Held Contacts'. Use the NC and COM terminals to switch the slide projector off when the dowser opens. Simple.

EDIT: I missed the part where you mentioned that you were replacing the CFS autos with Christies, therefore disregard the above.

-Aaron

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-16-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the motor control relay a SPDT with the motor on the N/O contact? If so, the slide projector could be hooked to the N/C contact.

The downside to that is, if I remember right, the manual motor switch is parallel to the N/O contact. Therefore, if you ever have to run a movie manually the slide show won't cut off unless you pull the plug on the slide projector.

It's been a while and my memory fades so correct me if I'm wrong.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: