Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Lens turret adjustment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Lens turret adjustment
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 02:19 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'fraid it's another question about my Prebost P70 [yawn]!

When projecting in scope there is quite noticable vignetting on the lower corners of the screen. After getting my lamp alignment pretty good, I have come to the conclusion it must be the position of the lens vertically. It's not a scope and backing lens problem with my short throw because the vignetting is there when just projecting through a 100mm lens.

So the question is how do I adjust the vertical positioning of the lens turret?

|  IP: Logged

Jason Whitlock
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 11:05 PM      Profile for Jason Whitlock   Email Jason Whitlock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could it be your aperture plate?? wouldn't a vertical alignment problem on the lens result in the entire bottom of the image being darkened instead of just the corners?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-16-2005 09:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remove the cover frombehind the apperture block and look at the spot of light on the apperture and ensure that it is even there
before moving the turret around

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2005 02:09 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, it could be the aperture plate, the scope is slightly overcut - it's about 18mm high and the gap between the aperture and the bottom of the plate is 5mm whereas the gap at the top is 6mm. Is this too much?

Gordon, I did what you suggested and there is a nice amount of light above and below the aperture at the rear of the block.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-16-2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the 100mm lens a actual 35mm projection lens or from somewhere else?

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2005 03:24 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 100mm Isco lens was just another lens I used to make sure it wasn't only happening with the 60mm backing lens and scope combo I was using.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-16-2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would sugest that you completely remove the apperture plate and project a loop of 35PA test target and look to see if by moving the framer up and down you can project the full area of 690x825
I think it is most likely lamp related as I don't remember any vertical adjustment on the prevost lens mounts

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have done this and with a scope lens fitted I do not get a full scope frame lit up. Without the scope lens I do get a fully frame lit. It seems that it's partly the lamp alignment and mostly the combination of a scope lens couple with 60mm backing lens. I think the lens is too short focal length because if I use my 100mm lens the pic looks great. This is odd, surely some cinemas use a 55mm with scope?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-17-2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, based on the scope lens used, under 75mm the scope will start to have image / light drop off at the edges. Lenses under 75mm are usually close coupled to the scope with proper mating rings ( providing your existing lenes is made to use them ). The rings bring the prime optic as close as possible to the rear optic element of the scope.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2005 01:41 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My scope lens does screw into the backing lens BUT due to the short throw and the fact the cope lens only pushes so far into the turret, to get focus there is a gap between the lenses. When I push the backing lens so it contacts with the scope, it does seem to remove some, but not all of the vignetting, although it's hard to tell because the aperture is then really out of focus.

Would an integrated 60mm scope lens work better?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-17-2005 02:14 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the elements between the prime and the back of the scope need to be closed coupled to the point that the lens element are practically almost touching each other + the integrated set is usually lighter and the front element of the scope generally set up to pass the light without cropping.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2005 02:18 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmm...the problem with that is getting an integrated anamorphic that focuses down to 7-8 feet. I use an old B&L clone that I modified. It gives a surprisingly sharp picture considering the hacking about I had to do!

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 01:39 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With your P70 it is better to use an integrated lense+anamorphic system ! (there are too many alignement problems with the separate anamorphoser!)
But your problem of vigneting may be come from your lamphouse that is designed for 16 mm : light rays have too much incidence.
Gordon, what is your opinion ? [Eek!]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-19-2005 09:44 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for 35mm there is a beam diffuser that need to be fitted in the front of the lamphouse

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2005 10:42 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a diffuser fitted. As I said the picture is very evenly illuminated when using a 100mm lens.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: