Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » need help finding info about Hi-tech automations

Author Topic: need help finding info about Hi-tech automations
Adam Witzel
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 03:26 AM      Profile for Adam Witzel   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Witzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my theater runs christie M-35 projectors with a hi-tech automation. i cant seem to find any information about these automations anywhere. i have 1 manual thats about 3 pages long, but doesnt list any info on parts, or part numbers. my problem is that i need a new switch for the "switch lense" feature, its burned out. the only backup switch i have wont work, or at least i dont think it will. this automation has 2 different types of switches, ones that stay up or down after you flip them, like motor run for example, and ones that go back into the center position after you push them up or down, like the switch lense switch. i need one that goes back to the center position to replace my burned out one, any info on where i can find manuals or information about the part number would be most appreciated. thank you
-adam

by the way, the manaul says Hi-Tech HTA-1020 Deluxe automation system

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-15-2005 10:19 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those were sort of shadetree mechanic units, as I recall. Some guy in Florida built them in his garage or something, using Rat Shack parts? Pretty flimsy.

Good luck, I never saw a manual for one. But they were pretty easy to figure out. Nothing fancy.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 10:23 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Tech is manufactured by:

Mega Systems Technologies
110 Riberia St.
(P.O. Box 4186)
St. Augustine, Florida 32084 (32085)
Phone: 1-888-829-5702 or (904) 829-5702
Fax: 904-829-5707
URL: www.megasystem.com
Email: info@870.com

Yours is mainly an HTA-10 unit with a 2000 watt dimmer built in (HTA1020).

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-15-2005 10:34 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Mega always have those? I could swear I recall an individual made them from home.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 10:41 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess they have. I've got some of their sales literature that states the following companies use Hi-Tech automations (as of April 2003):

Hollywood Theaters - over 80 screens

Carmike Theaters - over 300 screens

AMC Theaters - over 50 screens

George Lucas Super Live Adventure - Tokyo, Japan

Several other worldwide attractions are also listed in the literature.

Hi-Tech (Mega Systems) was very helpful and gave me copies of the manuals (and schematics!) to the HTA-14 and HTA-11D automation units.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-15-2005 10:47 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humm... maybe I'm mistaken about the home made thing - but they sure looked like it. And Carmike did have a lot of them. I would've opted for heavier-duty components. A lot of failures. They were constant trouble because they were so flimsy.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 10:53 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think www.rsem.com has pictures of these units posted on their site if you want to see what they look like. Look under Cinema Equipment -> Theatre Automation Systems.

I believe the Hi-Tech units use the same switches as late model Kelmar automations.

Adam Witzel
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 07:02 PM      Profile for Adam Witzel   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Witzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the replies guys, i tried the 1-800 number and its seems to be out of order, says the number cannot be completed as dialed, tried it 3 times. anyways, im going to try the other one when i get to work, as i dont feel like calling florida from home.

also would you guys happen to know the exact term for the type of switch that im looking for, so i dont have to tell them 'ya know the switches that go back to the center, not the ones that stay up or down!' and make myself look stupid. thanks.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-15-2005 08:49 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the front panel of a Hi-Tech HTA-11:

-

Hope this helps.

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-15-2005 10:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Otherwise known as No-Tech, or Low-Tech in our area. Since Megasystems is now out of buisness its hard to say where one will find the info but it is out there.

Mark

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2005 01:09 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam,
Call 904-829-5702. This is Megasystems number(Yes, Megasystems is still around). The Hi-Tech automations are still being supported.

Rick

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2005 01:18 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that Megasystems was bought out by Strong last year and some of the contact information has changed:

Sales office: Megasystems, 8 Marshview Drive, St. augustine, Florida 32080 Phone: (904) 829-5702, fax: 904-461-3546, URL is still the same as above posting.

Corporate office:
Megasystems/Strong International, 4350 McKinley St., Omaha, Neb. 68112, Phone: (402) 453-4444

The switch you are refering to is called a momentary center off.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2005 08:26 AM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Megasystems is now a part of Strong. I don't have the number for Hi-Tech with me, but if you call the Megasystems number they will give you the contact info. Don't call the Strong number because they don't have the Hi-Tech number. Hi-Tech is not associated with Strong. They are still operating out of Florida.

Rick

Adam Witzel
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2005 10:36 PM      Profile for Adam Witzel   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Witzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for all the help guys, i really appreciate it
-Adam

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-16-2005 11:52 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
I could swear I recall an individual made them from home.
UPDATE! Okay, I have it on good authority that the Hi-Tech's did indeed start out in a Florida garage. It was then sold to an employee who started Mega.

Glad to find the memory's not entirely gone. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: