Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to thread leader, which way is correct? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: How to thread leader, which way is correct?
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 12:14 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to know if this is common practice. I thread from my payout platter, through the rollers bypassing the projector, and to the take up platter. Then I pull some slack on the film and thread my machine.

My tech today, threaded by pulling from the payout platter, going to the machine, and running about 10 feet of leader on the floor. He then threaded up and ran the small pile of film through the rollers, and to the take-up platter.

He says both ways are suitable. I fell, aside from the dirt on the floor going to the film, that it is much messier and only adds time to the thred considering that you have to straighten out the leader on the floor before you put it on the take-up.

Also, while you are reading this...

Is it normal practice to put the leader attatched on Reel 1 included in your build? My tech says that if we put clear leader, then the head of 1, then the movie, that if we thread and get the number 3 on the leader in the framing square, then the film will be in frame when the show starts. What do you think? I don't mind doing it, but I'll have to change my ways a bit.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-15-2005 12:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, how to put this??? Oh, I know.

Your tech is a freakin' idiot!!!

From this point on, listen to nothing he tells you. Seriously, the guy's a moron. Tell your boss to find someone else to service your theater while you're at it. In the meantime, go to the tips section.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 01:11 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, but how about keeping the leader from Reel 1 on the head? I don't really see any disadvantage in that.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 01:23 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you're not playing trailers, the idea is absolutely retarded. What do you do, detach the H1 leader and reattach it before the trailers??

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 01:28 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No trailers here

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 01:31 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you play the attached trailer?

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 01:35 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, anything attatched, we play. So there isn't anything wrong with that IMO

Jason Whitlock
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 01:36 AM      Profile for Jason Whitlock   Email Jason Whitlock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
putting the 3 in the gate?? wouldn't that leave 3 seconds of film before the picture start.. thus scratching the crap out of the beginning of the film while the flywheels are getting up to speed..

i've seen it happen before.. the first ads on prints, even greenbands on trailers on prints without preshow ads..

maybe put the 10 frame or the first frame line on the leader in the gate, but definitely not the 3.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 01:42 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He said either the 5 or the 3 would be fine

Cam Jones
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 01:51 AM      Profile for Cam Jones   Email Cam Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really hate when people let the leader touch the floor! [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]

It gets dirt in the projector an ruins the presentation!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 04-15-2005 01:58 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Whitlock
putting the 3 in the gate?? wouldn't that leave 3 seconds of film before the picture start.
Three seconds for smpte leader, two seconds for Academy.

quote: Richard Greco
If he thinks the 3 or the 5 are ok, why not the 4, or the 9, or any other frame you care to think of.

I agree with you that the 3 is too late, the only time I would do that would be to do a changeover from a reel with a lot of film missing from the tail, but it would be very unusual for that much to be missing, I think I've only seen it about once. Since you say you are running a platter, even this wouldn't apply in this case.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-15-2005 03:08 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I really hate when people let the leader touch the floor!

It gets dirt in the projector an ruins the presentation!

..especially at a Drive-In! Do you have platter covers at your drive-in? I would recommend it highly.

Also Richard, being at a drive-in, I would recommend knowing how to lace your machines in reverse-lacing from the bottom up. That way, leads will never touch the floor. It takes time to get the co-ordination all together since one is so used to lacing from the top down, but once you get the hang of it, it isn't that bad and one can almost be as fast lacing in reverse as it is forward.

When you lace from platter to machine back to platter, have the platter loaded, then lace the machine.

Yes, I've seen sloppy "indies" who pile the leads on the floor, then thread the projector, then finally finish up lacing up the platters. And the floor is so frikken dirty and oily, that when I used to get prints from this place, the reels went through the Kelmar pad soaked in FG BEFORE I mounted them on the platter. I managed to make a platform of such where I could mount the Kelmar between the reel spindles on a Kelmar bench and clean the prints that way.

Yep, what a -MORON and a HALF- so-called "tech" to tell you this. He should be shot and fed to the FLA crocs.

good luck-Monte

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 04-15-2005 09:36 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why you would remove the R1 leader, but it doen't much matter if you have threading leaders with frame lines. I would splice the framing leader to the R1 leader (in frame!) then thread the projector on the threading leader (without dumping the film on the floor!), then run down to 6 on the R1 leader, check framing, and the system would be ready to start.
From experience I don't trust the countdown on threading leaders as I've found rather a lot of them where someone has damaged and removed a lot of film at the splice end... the countdown is then meaningless.

Matthew Peters
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 09:53 AM      Profile for Matthew Peters   Email Matthew Peters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently observed a projectionist threading up at another cinema, I was pretty impressed. He had the whole thing done in less than 30 seconds.

He threaded up the platter first, but did not go over to the projector, just payout then straight to take-up (all done very fast). He then swiftly pulled some film over to the projector and threaded it real fast. That was it. Oh he did power up the lamp and run the motor for 5 seconds…. I guess to see if it was in frame?

How common is this practice?

I must say though this has got to be the newest, cleanest, and most glamorous booth I’ve ever seen, I’d have taken pictures but the projectionist and manager there seemed a little suspicious of me.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-15-2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Richard Greco
Do you have an automation that doesn't delay 7 seconds before opening the douser or something? Otherwise, this sounds like someone who has never even been a projectionist before.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: