Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS 6D processor maintainance

Author Topic: DTS 6D processor maintainance
Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2005 03:18 PM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi every body,

Kind request to please let me know how do you maintain your DTS 6D processor.
Have you signed AMC for the processor....
What are the common problems with the DTS 6D processor?
How do you clean the Lens of the CD drive........
What all precaution is required for the processor?
When the processor is not in use, should we leave the processor off or every day whether we are using the processor or not we have to turn it on....

Please advice,
Thanks,
Peter

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-14-2005 10:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if its as dusty in India where you live as it is here in Utah then blowing the dust out of the unit every couple of years is a good idea. I blow the dust out of the supply seperately. Use low air pressure!!!!!!!! I open up the supplies and visually inspect them and also be sure to check the fans on all normal service visits to be sure they turn freely and silently. I have replaced over a hundred fans in the field in DTS units alone in the last few years. It also does not hurt to replace the main filter cap in the power supply about once every 5 years as these are not really very high grade supplies by any means!!

Cleaning the drives can be accomplished with a standard CD ROM cleaning disk, but don't over do this. I generally only use them when a drive will not read any longer. If a cleaning doen't get it to work again then replacement is in order. I have not had a later TEAC drive fail yet!

They also used a metal encased British made switching supply in the analog circuitry that failed once in a while. This supply is about one inch by two and a half inches and has a white and blue label on it. The result of a failed supply is a green digital light but no sound output. The later style DC converter is a black epoxy US made unit that doesn't fail. DTS won't send them out as a replacement part because they would rather charge exorbatent prices to RA the whole board. These switching supplies are also available directly from the manufacturer and from several dealers that also stock them. Beware this is at least a three layer circuit board, perhaps 4 layers, and you need appropriate soldering equipment to safley remove and re-install the new switcher.

Hope this helps........

Mark

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 12:48 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a ton mark for your lovely explanation.

We normally play all the movies in Dolby Digital. We rarely use DTS processor.

At present B drive is not working. A and C drive are working but not accurate it the sound reverts to mono.

I opened the DTS processor & saw the connection on drive B is disconnected.

I called the engineer he told me that there is a problem in the motherboard, if he connects the B driver non of the drive will work…. I really don’t know why so…..

Is there a serious problem, please advice.

Thanks

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-15-2005 03:59 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did he think to check the jumpers on the back of each drives for propper settings?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-15-2005 04:53 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darryl Spicer
to check the jumpers on the back of each drives
Drive A - 2
Drive B - 0-2
Drive C - 1-2-4(terminate)

-Monte

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 06:36 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter

Seems strange with me that there is a problem with the motherboard if you connect your B drive! I would check the cables (I had once a SCSI defective cable in my old PC that reboot the entire system if moved!) and the jumper settings. You can find everything dts website

The, try a CDROM (not CD audio) cleaner to see if the reliability improves. DWhat brad are your CDROM? Toshiba or TEAC?

Bye
A

Edit: Sorry for the syntax errors... [Frown]

[ 04-21-2005, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Antonio Marcheselli ]

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2005 11:27 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually take the drives apart and clean them the old fashioned way. I hate compressed air....although it CAN be fun.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-19-2005 07:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter John Anthony. C
Is there a serious problem, please advice.

This is more likely a bad drive than a motherboard problem. I would also be looking at the SCSI controller way before the motherboard. I've had the SCSI controllers fail as well a couple of times.

If you have Toshiba drives in there I reccomend that you just order the upgrade kit and re-do the entire unit to todays DTS standards. Ir will be alot more trouble free this way.

What brand drives do you have in there?

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2005 03:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...if it's "B" drive that went, how about swapping out the "B" with the "C" drive? Change the jumpers from the "C" to be the "B" settings. Then make "C" a "dead" drive until the upgrade kit comes in (or, forget about "B" and let "C" be the "B" drive for awhile).

Also, when having a DTS-6 player unit, it's a good idea to "rotate" drives-not use A and B drive all the time. Being a SCSI system, the disks will be recognized in any drive in any letter order- (make up your own drive assignments per each week). We do that all the time at our theatres-"rotate" the drive usage. Course, this works if one isn't using the trailer disks.

-Monte

Peter John Anthony. C
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2005 05:29 AM      Profile for Peter John Anthony. C   Email Peter John Anthony. C   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to all for the delay in reply………

Darryl the DTS Cd Rom jumper setting is Ok; previously we were playing sound with this setting.

Antonio and Mark thanks a ton for your reply.
I will try cleaning my CDROM with a CDROM cleaner.
The make of our CD ROM is TEAC…..

Thanks Monte for your help I will fallow your advice.

I have called my engineer to fix the problem.

Once he does the job I will come back with the details of work carried out.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Peter

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-20-2005 05:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops Peter, I forgot one thing: if you do the tray swap between "B" and "C", physically do the swap, not just move the jumpers since you need that termination (4) jumper on the last drive of the cable string. - thx Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: