Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » TES up to old tricks again!

Author Topic: TES up to old tricks again!
Peter Schoell
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 12:19 PM      Profile for Peter Schoell   Email Peter Schoell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just when I got to a point where I was starting to trust TES. I used to dread paying Airborne bills because you had to spend so much time going over EVERY detail. The scew-up rate was much higher than any other company.
Because of this false sense of competency, I mistakenly paid a "Print not ready" bill. BS the print was ready!
The only reason I caught the wrong payment was because they sent a past due notice, about a bill that had been paid.
I got a bill from TES for $300. because some credits were missing from the last reel!
First of all, the credits were there
Second. Who cares?
I think TES is trying to find new forms of revenue because they are losing film companies to ETS.

|  IP: Logged

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
some credits were missing from the last reel!

quote: Peter Schoell
Who cares?
I hope I don't get your print because I care! Your prints should leave in BETTER condition than how you received them. If that is the mindset that you intend to have while being a projectionist then I think it's time that you find a new job or change your attitude FAST!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-11-2005 01:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Peter Schoell
First of all, the credits were there
Second. Who cares?

He DOES care, for he knew that he shipped that print back to TECH with that 300 feet intact.

TECH DOES screw up at times! The best thing to keep anybody's "bases covered", especially when doing the billwork, is to keep a "booth log" of film handling. Record down your prints coming in by documenting depot, title, and most important-PRINT Number!

Yes, TECH screws up at times. The big one is when you have a print ready to go out on Friday, and there is no pickup, or DHL will not accept it due to it's not on their list for pickup, but the other print(s) that is available are and will be picked up.

If this happens, get on the phone to TECH immediately 1-800-99FILMS and tell them that a print was denied for pickup. If you don't, you have a good chance of getting hit with a charge for an attempted pickup because it wasn't "listed" on DHL's list for pickup.

That place has so many "unskilled labourers" there-probably coming and going, that they actually themselves "don't care" what happens.

-little help for all. - thx Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 05:46 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Credits, short features, studio logos, etc. The print should be in tact from head to tail no matter what.

As for keeping records, I agree with Monte completely.
I keep detailed inspection reports for all films recieved. They list all of the vital information you'll ever need for handling the print including sound and picture formats, print numbers, etc.
Damage found during initial inspection, during the run, and final inspection is all recorded and the inspections stay in my desk for a year after the print has been played just for good measure.
We also keep a daily entry log book, it helps keep track of maintenance and such.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-11-2005 06:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
ANY company can make a mistake. Just get on the phone and ask to speak to someone in charge of their inspection department and request a detailed report of the damage for starters. At that point if they return a report to you that is absolutely incorrect, challenge them on that. (Just make sure you really do know what you are talking about from YOUR end. For example, if one of your guys broke the film down and had some sort of disaster that they forgot to tell you about, then perhaps your theater was responsible. Not saying that happened, just be sure to check everything on your end too.) The "damaged reel" thing happened before to me and Joe Wade personally took a look at the reel and cleared it all up.

Remember their operation is monsterous. Anyone can goof up here and there. Give 'em a chance to make it right. [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-12-2005 05:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Give 'em a chance to make it right.

..and I agree with that! I remember when TECH came online back in '93 and what a mess they had, being the "new kid on the block and everything came from Ohio, when they began their service since have a certain amount of studios (Universal, Buena Vista, MGM/UA) that would release their prints-prints taken away from NFS.

They've muchly improved themselves since then.

Now, even ETS can goof up sometimes. Especially with their print shipping to the airport(s) to local courier services. For three weeks in a row, ETS managed to only give us one can of a movie that needed two-the other one stayed at the source airport, or the depot.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: