Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Big public thanks to Prevost! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Big public thanks to Prevost!
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 08:39 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to thank Prevost for some superb support since I got my new (new to me,anyway) P70.

I contacted Prevost a few weeks ago asking for some wiring diagrams for the turret and a manual for the machine. They promptly sent me the wiring diagrams I needed and then last week sent me a letter apologising for a delay in sending the manual - they had trouble finding the manual for my particular serial no. in their archives. Today I received a manual.

Each piece of correspondance was sent by express airmail from Italy. If only all companies were this helpful. Thanks Prevost! [thumbsup]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-11-2005 08:42 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prevost has always stood behind there products

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2005 07:34 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Matthew, it's a good news !

Is your machine a P70 (24 fps only, paint is "mouse" grey) or an Actua 70 with "vario-speed" (24 to 30 fps) ?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-13-2005 07:51 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you want a 35mm mech capable of running faster than 24? If you were showing shot-for-PAL-TV stuff then you'd want 35, but most of that is 16mm. If you wanted to show an original print of Oklahoma you'd want 30, but that would be 70mm. Surely variable speed from 16 to 24 would be far more useful?

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2005 08:54 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my knowledge, Actua 70 is the first generation of Prevost 35/70 mm projectors and it was designed for earlier 70 mm 30 fps prints.
Speed was adjustable on this machine. the projector incorporate an analog tachymeter. But I don't know the process to change speed [uhoh]

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2005 09:05 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Favorit 70 had gears for both 24 and 30 fps.
Bob

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-13-2005 09:10 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would someone want 35mm to run faster than 24/25 fps? Simple...some films are shot at 30fps if they are intended for Television viewing...a case in point...we did a show for NFL films...they shot film at 30fps...looked VERY impressive (sound was DTS for that showing too).

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-13-2005 09:44 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NFL Films is one of Kodak's largest customers for 16mm film. Transferring film to video at 30fps eliminates any 3:2 pulldown artifacts, giving smoother action on NTSC television.

Steve Sabol Interview Clip

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/news/nflFilms.shtml

quote:
Steve Andrich, vice president of cinematography at NFL Films, will present compelling evidence about the power of 16 mm film on HDTV screens at the Kodak booth at NAB...The conversation will be augmented with film clips from the past few decades.

"These incredible films get under the surface of the action and capture emotions on faces and in body language," says Robert Mayson, general manager and vice president of image capture for Kodak's Entertainment Imaging division. "It's just like being on the field. Steve Andrich has been on the frontline for years. He can eloquently explain how NFL Films has created this fantastic library based on its weekly shows."

NFL Films operates a 200,000-square foot facility in New York, housing state-of-the-art television and motion picture studios. The NFL Films archive is the largest sports film library in the world with over 100 million feet of 16 mm film.

Andrich began working for NFL Films as a freelance cinematographer in 1987. In addition to filming pro football games 22 weeks a year, Andrich is a second-unit cameraman and cinematographer. His second unit credits include Junction Boys, The Waterboy, Jerry Maguire and Steal Big, Steal Little. His cinematography credits include the telefilm My Father's Gun, Adam Sandler's music video The Lonesome Kicker, Barbara Streisand's tour documentary, and much more.

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/newsletters/inCamera/july99/nfl.shtml

quote:
The combination of 16mm and Super 16 footage was rushed to a waiting private jet for processing at NFL Film headquarters, in Mt. Laurel, New Jersey. By the following afternoon the entire batch of film had been developed and printed, ready for editing. The footage was then used to produce official highlight films for the Super Bowl contenders and several special programs aired on broadcast and cable television. It is also the official archives for the National Football League.
The NFL Films archives contain hundreds of thousands of feet of film going back to the early part of the twentieth century. During the regular season NFL Films assigns at least two cinematographers to document each game. One is at field level and the other in a fixed position high in the stands at midfield. The number of cinematographers present is determined by the importance of the game. As the season progresses, several cameras will be used on important games, placed in strategic locations around the action. However, for the biggest game of the year, Steve Andrich, vice president/cinematography, NFL Films, wants every nuance captured on film.

"We assign each cameraman to cover specific parts of the game from selected points of view, but mostly we leave it to them to use their expertise and their experience to come back with exciting shots that capture the essence of the game," Andrich says.

NFL Films has developed a recognizable visual style. "Most people recognize us for the slow motion and the up-close, tight shots," says Andrich. "It's been described as 'athletic ballet'. It's the kind of thing you don't see unless you see it in slow motion."

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2005 12:21 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew,
Could you scan the manual(s) and post them here at film-tech? If you don't have a scaner, than Brad may be talked into doing the scaning, if you will loan him the manual(s).

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-13-2005 12:59 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry - I forgot about shot-for-NTSC. I still think it's a bit strange to go to all that trouble to build a multi-speed capable mechanism which can't do the silent speeds, though.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2005 05:09 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gilbert, it is just the normal P70 @ 24fps.

Bruce, I do have a scanner but as it's mostly a parts and circuit diagram manual, there are quite a few A3 size pages that would be a bit more difficult to scan.

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2005 02:17 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Matthew !
Here is a photo of the Ernemann/Zeiss Favorit 70 = a Prevost P 70 improved by Zeiss !

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/projecteur.cinema/zeiss2.htm

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-14-2005 09:57 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The zeiss favorite 70 and the p70were the same machine just relabled Atlantic audio visual used to sell them over here and they were always shipped direct from Italy as a seperate shipment to the 35mm machines ordered for the same jobs that came from germany.I could never find any difference between the prevost we bought direct and the ones that were badged zeiss ikon

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 04-14-2005 11:22 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No difference...worked on both.

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2005 03:20 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a photo of P70 "grey" that worked in Lyon and was used for projectionnists formation, you can notice that instead of Favorit model, the mechanism is not closed in a "cabinet"

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: