Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Idiotproof" Trailers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Idiotproof" Trailers
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-10-2005 08:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..to members of the FT forum.

The time has FINALLY arrived. "Idiotproof" trailers. I found this on the "War of the Worlds" teaser trailer.

-

It's about freaking time that studios put something for the idiots to see where to cut the leads off the tail end so there is that proper fadeout at the end of the trailer. It's so annoying to see a fadeout just being at the end of a trailer, then "BLOP!!", green band of the next trailer is on the screen. No fadeout of any kind whatsoever. Just horrible trailer presentation. And I'm sure that the studios are getting peeved about this as well-let alone the filmmakers.

-

Now, wonder to see if the bozo idiots can see this, use this tip,even miss it,ignore it, or even care.

I added the edgelines with marker to represent the frameline. (now, wonder how many have done this trick to mark framelines for in-frame splicing, since this is an old practice to mark framelines on black film...)

thx-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-10-2005 09:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Murphy's Law #42:

If you make something so simple that even an idiot could use it, only an idiot would WANT to use it.

[Big Grin]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-10-2005 11:17 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great. Now we just need a Splice Here mark for the head as well so that the green band doesnt jump in the gate when some bozo cuts right on the green band.

Tracy Bellar
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 11:40 PM      Profile for Tracy Bellar   Author's Homepage   Email Tracy Bellar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
something I have always done, once I find where the splice goes I put the point of an ink pen in the next sprocket hole after the fram line. This way you can hold the film and pen in one hand and there is not a quess as to where to cut. You simply put the film on your splicer with the pen hanging over the blade of the splicer. You know the cut goes right next to the sprocket with the pen so your cut will be right every time.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-11-2005 03:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear young "bretheren" of film handler's land:

Don't you remember the very first lesson that was learned when you were in your "training wheel" stage in the world of the "film handlers?" Remember that there is four sprockets per frame for 35mm - no matter what?

See what I have done below to emphasize this simple booth rule?
 -

(this is the header from "EP-III" showing the fade-in hard matte rating tag with the corresponding four-sprocket/frame dots on the edge of the film, in which I counted and marked backwards from the beginning fade-in frame - LONG before the cut).

Head on over to the "Tip" section of FT, find "Cutting Trailers Properly" and you'll see excellent layouts of proper and professional trailer lead cuts for excellent presentation purposes.

thx-Monte

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-11-2005 04:01 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5 frames of black is too short! [Razz]

I like to use a frame counter to take it as far into the black as possable on both the head on the tail.

Joop de Gruiter
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 05:27 AM      Profile for Joop de Gruiter   Email Joop de Gruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's safer to always do this on the non-soundtrack side. Otherwise you could accidently paint the srd track between the sprocket holes.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-11-2005 05:29 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
5 frames of black is too short!
True and agreed. I used this pict as an example to show how to do framelines with marker. The best way visually, is to head to that "TIP" section that I mentioned, for this is how I do "trailer paks" for my feature buildups (and have actually been doing this method for 20 plus years...).

-thx Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-11-2005 05:52 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's much faster to just cut at the last frame of the head leader before the black begins. Also the Neumade splicer block is 8 frames + 1/2 perforation long, so that makes as a fast way to lay a KNOWN frameline (from the head leader) on the left side then whack the cutting blade 8 frames over (into the black, of course). This way there is no need to even bother putting marks on the film. Just use the splicer block as a frame counter.

Click here and scroll down to the picture "SPLICER MARKER".

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2005 06:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont'y worry the leader may be marked correctly but the lab will screw it up somehow.

Brad,
You left out the "whip the trailer to the other end of the booth" method of making them up [Big Grin] !!

MArk

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 04-11-2005 09:18 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute. They go through the trouble of putting a SPLICE HERE frame, but no frame line. How idiotic is that?! There is absolutley no reason why that frame couldn't have white edges so as to eliminate any guess work at all....no need for frameling counting/marking at all. Evidently this is an "idiot-proof" leader made by idiots.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-11-2005 01:06 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't worry. The leader may be marked correctly but the lab will screw it up somehow.

..and they do. Thus, I use the "old school" method in what I was taught with - my eyes (and a "Sharpie", if necessary, and I only tik the area above the soundtrack area if I use that side...I know better).

I've "tuned" myself to where I don't look for pictures, but for framelines. And I've taught a few booth candidates that method and can understand where I come from.

quote: Frank Angel
Evidently this is an "idiot-proof" leader made by idiots.

...just like that "LFOA" with the set of arrows pointing to the last frame on the head of the tail leads of a print reel?

"the Dumbnifcataion syndrome" lives again!

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 05:57 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This trailer (first image) is NOT idiot proof!
Imagine what a real booth idiot might do if he decides to show it in the correct aspect ratio of 1.59! [Big Grin]

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 06:09 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally ignore "cut marks".
I noticed the idiot proof splice here mark but I just don't think that it'll make that big of a difference to the dumbass that cuts on the first and last visible frame.

I take my splicing seriously these days. I've modified our splicer to the FilmTech "spec" (creating an overlapped splice, see tips section) and when I splice I keep as much black between the trailers as I can. It makes the transition much smoother, such as when running different kinds of trailers on one print.

My assistant on the other hand will lob off the first green frame on attached trailers and splice from there if he gets the chance. [Mad]

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 08:57 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
and I only tik the area above the soundtrack area if I use that side...I know better
except then you're writing all over the SDDS soundtrack. if anything, you should only be using the space between sprocket holes on the non-soundtrack side.

quote: Frank Angel
There is absolutley no reason why that frame couldn't have white edges so as to eliminate any guess work at all
but theatres with poorly cut apperature plates or ones that are a bit out of frame would show that white line on the screen. I prefer no frame line to white ones.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: