Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Shedding

Author Topic: Film Shedding
Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed that the new print I recieved this week (The Animation Show) has been shedding quite badly. This has happened before but does not happen on every print (we just closed Aviator and What the #$*! Do We Know which both ran fine). I have a trailer on the front of Animation Show from Universal that does NOT shed. So my theory is that it is the type of film that is causing the shedding and not our projector. Would I be right in assuming this?

FYI: I am running a Ballyntine Pro 35 with a Potts Platter and Big Sky Automation.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-10-2005 05:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you run the feature without the trailer, then add the trailer later? If so you could've scuffed the feature due to the gate not being clean before the trailer got added. Once a film gets scuffed, it will shed and shed and shed.

It could also be the lab or film stock used.

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 05:48 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad: No, I did not run the film without the trailer the first time I ran it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-10-2005 05:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the film stocks next. Also what is the studio that released that feature?

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 05:55 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT isn't released through a major distributer, just Animation Show Productions I believe. I couldn't find any stock markings on the heads (be gentle, I'm new at this), could you point me to where I could find them on the reels?

EDIT: The film is also making a "poping" noise as it goes through the gate. Just like the shedding this has not happened on the previous films we have played or the trailer that is on the feature.

Jason Whitlock
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 07:42 PM      Profile for Jason Whitlock   Email Jason Whitlock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your film stock information will be the magenta text you see in the green area of the film (the edge of the film where the SDDS track is located)

Since you said Aviator was in the theatre previously.. maybe the gate tension is to high as that print was probably old and worn, and had stability issues..

And maybe with the new print and a high tension, the intermittent is having a harder time pulling the film through causing the sprocket teeth to hit the edge of the holes causing some of the shedding and the popping noise..

I could be wrong here.. but that would be my best guess as to what's happening..

Have you tried lowering the tension until it starts bouncing?

EDIT: I was looking at the specs of the movie at IMDB and it says that it's B&W and color. Maybe there are certain reels or parts of reels using black and white stock for some of the older animated shorts, and if I remember correctly (Reel 1 of Kill Bill 2), B&W stock sheds more than color film stock.

Patrick Matthews
Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 08:42 PM      Profile for Patrick Matthews   Email Patrick Matthews   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I looked around the edge and found KK 06 0449 6827, I don't if that is it but its all I could find. Keep in mind that this isn't a major studio release. Also, I would understand your point about gate tension but we also have press and trade screenings here and get brand new prints and we never have had one do this. Like I said, we mostly show "indy" movies and this has happened a few times on prints from smaller studios before, but never on a major studio one.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 12:00 AM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no advice, but lookit the cool maroon velour seat covers I made from 100% scraped-off emulsion fuzz! You gotta think positive.
 -

Cam Jones
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Cam Jones   Email Cam Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! [thumbsup]

Brent Allen Sadler
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 04:24 PM      Profile for Brent Allen Sadler   Email Brent Allen Sadler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Pat. First off, what type of projector are you running the film on? Let me know, I can give you a little more help. In the meantime, try some type of solution such as Film Guard or CPI Film Cleaner and spray a light mist over the entire film while it lays on the platter. Then run the film again and wind it upside down on the platter and spray it again. This should help alot with the shedding in any projector. If you have a Cinemeccanica v4, v5 or any simmilar projector with a straight gate, try spreading the film guard over the film guides and the gate. Hope this helps!

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 06:32 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, Brent, I'd be careful about recommending CPI film cleaner... [Eek!]

From what I have read in Film-Tech about the CPI product, I would pour it down the drain if I found any! It's a very poor Film-Guard knockoff which has been proven to do more harm than good (see page 5 of the thead I linked for evidence).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: