Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Did Klieg make lamphouses?

Author Topic: Did Klieg make lamphouses?
John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2005 10:26 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone confirm that Klieg once made lamphouses for film projection? An elderly projectionist described a high intensity lamphouse, with the positive carbon facing the film. It had a condenser lense, and operated at 110 amps. He thought it was made by Klieg. The lamps were the original ones in a theatre that opened in 1920 where I live (Okmulgee, OK - Hippodrome - 1628 seats). What would be the largest screen that this lamp would be suitable for?

|  IP: Logged

David M. Dorn
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2005 10:34 PM      Profile for David M. Dorn   Email David M. Dorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Recent Additions page now has the National Carbon Bulletins available for download. The condenser type lamps are descibed but I don't recall any specific reference to Klieg.

Word of warning the download is about 30mb.

David

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 04-09-2005 11:22 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condenser lens optics with the positive facing the aperture sounds like GENARCO. Their Metro followspots used such a lamphouse.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-10-2005 12:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed! About 1988 was the last time I was in the original upper booth of the Palace Theatre in Chicago. There was one lonely Kleig lamphouse sitting on a heavy duty Simplex base in the center of three ports... no machine mounted.... it would have been the machine that was used for the projecting the Cinerama prologs and trouble reels. The Kleig lamphouse I saw looked like a shorter version of the Peerless Hy-Candescent with an angled down back side. I definately remember looking at the makers tag on it. There were also two Kleig follow spots at the far end of the booth as well which had similar but not identical lamphouses on them. Those two followspots were the largest I've ever seen.

I was tipped off by a friend that worked for GTE at the time and was running phone lines in the Palace that there was alot of film all over the booth floor. I found a half dozen Cinerama prologs... two copies each of three different prologs and one trouble reel.

Mark

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 10:06 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, everyone. I believe the man's recollection of the lamphouse is pretty good. The National Carbon bulletins are interesting, and confirmed that up to 110 amps was used on early high-intensity arcs.

BTW, I'm writing an article for MARQUEE magazine about the Hippodrome, where the Klieg lamphouses were used. Title is "Biography of a Small-Town Hippodrome."

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-12-2005 12:55 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did Kleigl cease operations?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-12-2005 08:31 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kleigl was sort of still in business under the banner of RKLighting and they carried parts for dimmers control systems and spotlight

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is "Kleigl" the proper brand name for the lamphouses? rather than "Kleig?"

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-12-2005 08:27 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kleigl Bros. is what is on the 3 pieces we have. We have one fresnel that we have relamped to use an HX754, it originally had a 1000 watt mogul base bulb. The other two pieces are cast iron base ordinary floor lamps

John McConnel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2005 09:05 PM      Profile for John McConnel   Author's Homepage   Email John McConnel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, are you by any chance with the Byrd? If so, what's going on with it?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: