Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP200 No analog output (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP200 No analog output
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2005 07:58 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a CP200 upgraded with a the 517's, 560, and 137L (I believe these are the right numbers). We also have a Component Engineering LED Reverse Scan. The tech came out to do our EQ yesterday and there is a problem with the analog output. There is signal to the preamp to the meter/filter cards but nothing else. The 560 and 150 don't have signal from the reader. I swapped the 150 card into a working processor and it works fine. We also have swapped the 560 back with the 160 and still nothing. DTS works fine and when the tech had his pink noise generator in the processor everything was fine. We tried bypassing the D567 and still no analog output. Thanks for any help.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-10-2005 09:34 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can I assume that not only the new cards were inserted but also the (many) mainplane wiring changes were made??

Also, it is possible to insert the pink noise card in several locations in the cp-200. A knowledge cp-200 Dolby (old-timer) tech will understand and be able to pinpoint the signal stoppage.

Unlike other processors, the -200 can have many configurations. It is not necessarily "straight-through" like the CP-50.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-10-2005 12:50 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The block diagram shows the 'special 1' card location is right after the meters. Could something be wrong there? Does the intermission music work? (it bypasses the 'special 1' location.)

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-10-2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the power supply rails. I would bet that the 24 Volt rail is missing.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 02:50 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the backplane modifications were done according to the DA20 manual.
The house music (non-sync formats) work just fine. And yes the special 1 (cat 207 universal link card) is just after the filter/meter cards.
As far as the power supply, when its powered up, the unit powers up fine but the 24V light takes several seconds to come on and when it does you can hear the sound of a relay click. Im beginning to believe this could be the problem but don't have another one to swap it out with.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-10-2005 03:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Sam is right. The 200 supply was not ultra reliable and thats why provisions were made to easily add a complete backup supply. At its age and for best reliability I would certainly reccomend a complete rebuild of it anyway. Any competant technician shold be able to get this straightened out in short order, but be sure to get a CP-200 knowledgable tech in for it.

Mark

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-10-2005 05:42 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The relay 'click' after a short delay during power-up was/is normal. A backup supply was always suggested as Mark said and is easy to connect. You can test the voltages at the terminals shown.....

-

Ahhh ... When men were men! [Big Grin] Although I always wondered why the manual was never 'finished.' It seems that someone made a good first attempt at writing a CP200 manual, (everything is in there but you have to look) but then gave up.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-10-2005 05:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
John, that's the way the PS1 power supplies worked (24V being delayed). That's probably not your problem.

Have you tried reseating all of the cards to the right of the cat22s in the processor box? Then what happens if you put a P/N generator in? You've got to find out WHERE in the chain the signal dies. In that processor box, it travels from the left card to the right card, then passes out the JM11 and into the JM21 via that short ribbon cable (of which you are inserting your dts signal there). Because your dts works, this is something in the processor, or you screwed up the backplane wiring.

Is there an SRA5 in this rack? How about an AUX unit?

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2005 05:56 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no SRA5 or AUX unit in the rack. I have tried re-seating all of the cards and still no luck. I also double checked all the backplane wiring but I will check it again. There is signal at the meter/filter cards but no signal at the 560 or 150. I swapped the 560 out with the old 160 and still no signal. I also swapped the 150 with a known good and still no signal. The only other card is a link card between the meter/filter cards and the 560. Could that be the problem?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-11-2005 09:39 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try to see if there is signal present on the preamp output terminals on terminal strip bs1 approx300v with a tone loop running
If so the problem is between the link card or the back plane signal goes nto the link card on SK12 pins Lt on P and Rt on M and passes out on 13 and 11 to the cat 160 where it enters on SK18 A17 and B18 respectivly and then contiues on to the 150 exiting on B12 and B10
If there is no signal then swap a meter card

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-11-2005 05:14 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of questions.

When did the CP200 stop working?

Did it ever play optical?

Where did you obtain the CP200?

Did it have an SRA5 in a previous life?

I believe the signal is stopping in the special one card, particularly if the CP200 was ever modified for use with an SRA5.

This mod. includes some changes to the SRA5.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2005 06:16 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP200 has not played optical since we bought it. It was bought used and is going in a theatre that is being renevated. I don't know if it ever had an SRA5. I suspected teh Special one card because it would be where the signal is stopping assuming the signal path is left to right. Does the card need to be replaced or perhaps modified??

Update:
I just went and checked out the SRA5 manual and checked out the modifications to the special one card. Its hard to remember but I think the card has the modifications shown. So if it does, should I break the links that have been made and restablish the ones cut and reinstall the card?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-11-2005 07:26 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The card needs to unmodified or restored back to original if there is no SRA5 as the signal was "broken out" to go to the SRA5 and also to return from the SRA5. There may be a way to put jumpers on the related fanning strip going to and from the SRA5, but it may be easier to fix it on the card.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-11-2005 08:56 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A more expediant way to deal with it is to just make a link that goes between the two fanning strips (I believe the SRA-5 manual details on how to make the link. Thus, you could add the SRA-5 or like SR adapter at any time.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-12-2005 07:27 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The CP200 has not played optical since we bought it. It was bought used ....."

Am I wrong, or is that kinda an important detail that should have been mentioned at the beginning? [Roll Eyes] Congrat to Sam for asking the right questions. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: