Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Short throw Scope lens recommendation needed.

Author Topic: Short throw Scope lens recommendation needed.
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2005 11:05 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this has been a previous topic and I remember reading how to modify the old B&H type lens from Mark a long time ago.
Ive had several scope lens over the years that I considered to ruin the contrast of the image. Ive never had what I call a good scope lens. Now to complicate things Im limited on throw distance so I now need a good scope lens with a throw of about 12 to 15 feet.
Never having bought a new "latest and greatest isco" I have no idea what these cost. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-07-2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you give a desired image size (width) you might get an answer from someone.

If you don't care how big your image is, any lens will work. [Big Grin]

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2005 02:19 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike

I thought the primary lens determined the size of the image.
My flat will be about 7 feet wide with scope topping out about 8.5 to 9 feet wide.
I need a scope that will focus at about 13 to 15 feet. I know that most do not do this so it cuts down my selection quit a bit.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-07-2005 02:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
head to www.schneider.com for a lens calcuator. This will calculate what your backup lens focal length needs to be.

What Mike is saying is true that any lens will work, yet he meant that the front element will work on any lens. What you need is the BACKUP lens that matches your focus needs. The backup, or rear element is what does the focusing requirements and the front element is what does the "unsqueezing."

-Monte

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-07-2005 02:29 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, people seem to prefer the ISCO anamorphics, rather than the Schneider. Regular anamorphic adapters are expensive; $2000, or so depending.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-07-2005 02:38 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the correct primary lens. I do not need any help here.

Every scope lens I have had said it starts to focus at 50 feet. Is there one that will focus at 15 feet.

Thanks!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-07-2005 03:10 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Schneiders will pull down to that short of focus. I do believe that they start at 5 meters, or almost 15 feet. These Schneiders are the small-barreled anamorphics. Still, check out this website and you can see these lenses.

-Monte

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2005 02:01 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just get an Isco like you see me rubbing in my member pic. You can get them used for about $200-300 and they focus down to around 14 feet.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-08-2005 08:58 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that some of these short throw anamorph have issues with short focal length backup lens vignetting so you might be better if you are sure of the required focal length to get an integrated

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2005 03:33 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, biz must be bad, I see schneider now does truck delivery's. [Big Grin]
www.schneider.com

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 04-08-2005 08:09 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
try www.schneideroptics.com to get lenses, not trucks! [Smile]

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: