Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Optical sound

Author Topic: Optical sound
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 08:49 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have connected my stereo cell into a stereo mic preamp with a 600 Ohm resistor between the ground and signal on each channel at the cell end.

In searching through the archives I read about the need to use a capacitor on each channel to remove the DC element from the cell signal. Is this needed for the health of the preamp or does it make a difference to the quality of the sound?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-02-2005 09:43 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the preamp is transformer coupled input a cap isn't needed since the transformer will block any DC component
But most direct coupled the input opamp may have an issue with DC

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 10:02 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What difference would it make to the sound if there was an issue?

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 10:48 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adding enough DC bias directly to an input could drive the signal into a non-linear portion of the device's amplification curve, resulting in some distortion.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 10:57 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yep, that's what I got. Thanks for that.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 03:43 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your advice - I find this forum so useful.

I put the capacitors in series with the two solar cell outputs and it has removed the distortion I used to get with the more well modulated parts of the soundtrack.

A thought occured to me. I read that it's best to use a 1:1 600 Ohm transformer for inputting the signal into a pre-amp. Is it possible to use a non-equal ratio transformer, eg. 1:50 or something, and negate the need for a preamp altogether?

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 07:20 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds on the face of it like it would work, doesn't it? Sorry...a transformer isn't an amplifier. You can't get something for nothing. While the voltage will indeed be stepped up, it will be at the expense of the current. That's why they call it Ohm's law, not Ohm's suggestion. Transistors are current amplifiers, not voltage amplifiers. It's why we have to put transformers at the outputs of tube amps...to turn all that voltage change back into current change to run speakers.

Clive Carmock
Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 08:02 PM      Profile for Clive Carmock   Email Clive Carmock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am about to change the mono cell in my 35mm projector to a stereo cell, which came from a Westrex 7000.

The current mono cell has a single core with screen cable that connects to a 3 pin XLR plug, however the new cell has three wires, none of which are screened. Is it likely this will pick up mains hum in the machine?

I plan to connect this to the same XLR plug on the chassis. I asusm eit is OK to connect L & R to two pins and use a common ground as per the output fromt he new cell?

I would use two core + screen cable to connect to the pre-amp.

Any advice much appreciated.

Clive

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-05-2005 12:06 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Solar cells need to be loaded down to something like a 50 Ohm load to get true flat frequency response. A solar cell fed into a high resistance or impedance input like the 10K Ohms load found typically found on a power amp input will cause the low frequency response to roll off substantially.

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2005 01:19 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Matthew)I put the capacitors in series with the two solar cell outputs and it has removed the distortion I used to get with the more well modulated parts of the soundtrack.

A thought occured to me. I read that it's best to use a 1:1 600 Ohm transformer for inputting the signal into a pre-amp. Is it possible to use a non-equal ratio transformer, eg. 1:50 or something, and negate the need for a preamp altogether?

OK Matthew !

If you put polarized capacitors (such as 1 uf, 16 V), be carefull to put + to cell (assuming preamp input is 0V) !
If you use transformers, choose shielded models, if not you will get 50 Hz inductions, thus hum !!!
[Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: