Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon lamp alignment (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Xenon lamp alignment
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 07:23 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping you can help me. I have got my small Cinemaccannica CX-450 working reasonably well with my Prevost P70. I'm certain I could squeeze some more light out of it with better alignment though.

The facts are this; I don't have an 'alignotron'. I don't know the optimum distance between the lamp and the gate.

To the best I can without the correct tools, how can I;

a) align the lamphouse in relation to the projector both vertically and horizontally (the lamphouse is sitting on bits of wood at the moment)

b) best focus/align the mirror once the lamphouse is in the correct position.

I have looked at the archives and seen the 'string method' mentioned but found no reference to what it actually is.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-02-2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you could try to project the light to the screen with out the lens and make sure that the dark spot is as centered to the screen as possable then try and focus the light with the scope lens in placefor the brightest picture with just a bit of darkness in each corner of the screen. Making sure the light is evenly spread.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-02-2005 12:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cut out two disks that are the diameter of the ens mount
and puch a pin hole in the dead centre (for this to work they have to be accurate)
remove the lamp and in the cntre of the mirror is round tube
look through the two pinhole to align the lamphouse so that the centre of tat tube is in line ith the pin holes then install the lamp and make sure it is visible on the same axis that will get you in the ballpark

The original method for these was with steel rod and dummy lens

Jacek Dejnarowicz
Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 05:01 AM      Profile for Jacek Dejnarowicz   Email Jacek Dejnarowicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The optimum distance between the lamp and the gate depends on your mirror and lens. The lamp need to be at the first and the gate at the second focus of the mirror. And finally the size of focused light beam must be equal aperture of the lens.
I don't know if it's clear cause of my weak english. I think the best way is to find specification of your lamphouse.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 08:03 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also focus the lamp on a wall by pointing the lamphouse at a wall, to ensure you have the mirror and xenon perfectly aligned. then mount the lamphouse on the projector ensuring that the image of the xenon is bang in the middle of the screen, or using the method using string works well.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 10:49 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt
If you send me a picture of your set up, maybe I can help you figure it out.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2005 05:08 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Greg, I will do. It may take a couple of days because I have to borrow my brother's digicam.

Gilbert Travin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-04-2005 07:03 AM      Profile for Gilbert Travin   Author's Homepage   Email Gilbert Travin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew ;

You can use a laser pointer ... to align film gate and lamphouse.
then you can align projector axis with screen axis. But the "great" problem with Prevost is to adjust correctly the turret because there are too many adjustments of the turret (I believe 3 adj. : lock position, 35/70 translation and each lens ...) : this operation will be long.

If your mirror is designed for 16 mm operation, you will have "dark" zones on the two sides of the screen, especially in 70 mm .

Good luck ! [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-04-2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CX450 and CX900 are basically a 16mm design and a beam diffuser is required in the snood to expand it to 35mm

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-13-2006 06:42 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 526 days since the last post.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2006 06:42 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good subject in topic, so I won't start another topic, I just gonna ask something.
Can anybody tell me a distance from center of lamp to gate???

I using 900W vertical lamp with 350mm diameter mirror, bur mirror isn't problem because i have original holders for lamp and mirror conected together, I just must set that holder to lamphouse!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-13-2006 10:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marin Zorica
Can anybody tell me a distance from center of lamp to gate???

..that's kinda of a general question due to the fact that mirror "F" stop focal lengths are so different per each lamphouse make.

Some have long focal mirrors whereas others have very short focal lengths - and some depending on bulb size as well, in as well as mirror diameters..

You would have to check what are the requirements for the lamphouse used with your machines..

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2006 02:43 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You would have to check what are the requirements for the lamp house used with your machines..
Yes I know that but nowhere I can find answer! probably because lamp house was originally made for carbon arc's and then repaired for Xenon lamps. Does anybody know a producer of mirror that gives this kind of data for each mirror?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-14-2006 08:20 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Conversions were done by many different people as kits as well as factory jobs and the mirrors varied a lot depending on the source
you would have to find out who did or make the conversion and ask them

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2006 02:29 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
you would have to find out who did or make the conversion and ask them
hmmm...I thing flying to moon is simpler to do than that [Wink] [Wink]

I figured out stuff, distance from gate to center of lamp is 71cm, and from lamp to mirror is 10cm!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: