Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Non-Sync through Surrounds on CP500

Author Topic: Non-Sync through Surrounds on CP500
Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2005 09:42 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How can I send the Non-sync input to the surrounds only and have the bass sent to the sub? Is there a way without wiring it into the ACC input? The closest I can get is making a format, but it's delayed in the surrounds.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-02-2005 03:23 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Delayed in relation to what? last time I worked with a CP500, you could get nice non-sync through the surrounds by assigning the channels properly in that virtual patch bay. You also have to assign the subwoofer, but make sure OBE (optical bass extension) is enabled. It doean't matter if the input actually comes from optical or non-sync. That's just the way it's been called traditionally. If you choose "non-sync" in the "NR input" screen of the custom format editor, that will give you that result.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-02-2005 04:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't done this for a while, and forgot how to do this, but when you set up a custom format for NON-SYNC, one can do what's called a "matrix" format where one can send 2 channels from the NON-SYNC input throughout all 5 speaker channels, and the 6th being the SUB would be left out.

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-02-2005 04:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can look at a CP500 in a few days and give you step by step instructions if you haven't figured it out by then. Basically just go to the option "create new format" and select User 1 (or another "User" number) and tell it to derive from non-sync 1 or 2 input, turn on pro-logic if you want it matrixed, turn off NR no matter what and select the channels you want playing and such. It's been too long for me as well to remember EXACTLY what steps to do, but seriously it's pretty user-friendly once you tell it that you want to create a new User format. [Cool]

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 06:02 AM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dean Kollet
The closest I can get is making a format, but it's delayed in the surrounds
Why are you talking about delay? delay in surround channels is related to the other channels (and to room dimensions) in a normal soundtrack; if you use the NS input there's no delay. I have a CP500 just in front of me, if you need some advices about the way to create a new format, no problem for me.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2005 08:17 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the confusion, I mean delay=echo. I'm guessing I should turn on the pro-logic decode and just mute the stage speakers. Even without the Pro-Logic, I'm getting that weird echo, it almost sounds like a 'record is playing too slow/slowing down' (that's the best I can do with that explanation). I've kept the OBE on as well. Also, what is OPU? I'm probably wrong, but I don't remember seeing much in the manuals, in detail, about format building. [Confused]

thanks

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 04-02-2005 04:28 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to mute any channels. You can just assign L and R to the surrounds in the virtual patchbay.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: