Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Follow Spot Question

Author Topic: Follow Spot Question
Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 09:52 AM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that there are projection people that are also familiar with follow spots. A friend of mine gave me two carbon arc Super Trooper follow spots for my theatre. One of them is complete and working the other was taken as far apart as you can take one. While reassembling the unit I got the "front end" optical part together and mounted on the bed plate, while starting to assemble the lamphouse it became apparent that there is a chance that one of my Super Lumex lamps would just bolt in place. Does anyone know if this the case? Will the Super Lumex just bolt on and line up properly? The spot was taken apart and all the sheet metal was powder-coated with with gray wrinkle-finish and everything else was chrome plated. When reassembled it's going to be a cherry lamp. Thanks in advance...Jim Spohn

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-28-2005 09:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should work as the original lamphouse on the super trouper was the simplex (aka strong) 1KW carbon arc lamp
the xenon supers for years used the lumex on the front
One cautionary note normially for spot light use the lamphouse is rewired to put the anode at the back to reduce flicker as it is panned around and usually used at a stepper angle than normal for a horizontal lamp

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-28-2005 01:16 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rear lens on the xenon version of the Super Trouper is very different from the simple convex rear lens of the carbon version. Also, balance will probably be quite different, but easily fixed with extra weight in the right places.

The Stardust Hotel here used to run a Super Trouper with a projection lamphouse mounted on it, either a Peerless Magnarc or Strong Mighty 90. It was a one-off custom job, not a Gladiator with Futura lamphouse. Put out a beautiful light.

Let us know how it performs with a xenon lamp on a carbon lens barrel. I always preferred the operating feel of the carbon-lamp chasis way over the xenon one. Are yours long- or short-throw barrels?

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two Super Troopers, one of them, the carbon arc one is working now and puts out a beautiful light. They are both the "long-throw" versions. When I traveled with IceCapades in the '70s I operated one of these carbon arc Super Troopers and so far have found nothing that will touch them in feel and performance. If I convert one of them to Zenon, I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks to you both for the info. Jim Spohn

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-29-2005 07:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually its the Lum-Ex, not the Super Lum-Ex thats used on the present Super Trooper POS. You do need to turn the bulb end for end so that it operates stable. With the lamp in the normal way should the lamphouse is tilted too far up or down you risk the lamp extinguishing completely and also voiding your lamp warranty. Best to stick with LTI lamps in a spotlight as they have a completely different warranty for spotlight servicen that can work in your favor. Also best to keep your oldies and do what ever it takes to convert them over as they are ALOT better built than todays POS is. BTW: COnverting an older one will limit your iris travelrange so you will need to install a stop on it at that point. The Kneisley conversion actually worked VERY well to go to Xenon but they long ago discontinued it....

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: