Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Amplifiers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Amplifiers
Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2005 07:34 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was curious about why certain amps are deemed "not for cinema use". For example, why is a QSC RMX amp not for cinema use but a QSC ISA amp is? Does it really matter?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-27-2005 08:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its really alot of marketing bullshit. When I was at GTS we installed tons of RMX amps in theatres. So far over the three plus years they have proven completely reliable. Actually its true that amps doing music servce at concerts may get far more abuse than they might get in ANY cinema application!! For home use they would be particuluarly fine. I opened up and checked one of each model that we installed and the construction quality is actually pretty darn good, large toroid tranny, decent amount of power supply capacitance, and plenty of keat sinking. The main difference is they're just made in Asia. Overall, they are a bargan and should be made more accessable to cinema dealers. BTW: I was told by someone at QSC that the RMX series is very similar to the old USA series of amps that was discontinued... or were they really just re-packaged.....

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-27-2005 10:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several manufacturers have products they target for a particular consumer. Part of this is to keep "box movers" from engaging in specialize applications. Part of it is to ensure that their products receive the proper application.

QSC has different types of dealerships...some are for sound reinforcement, some are for cinema. The ISA and RMX actually are more similar than USA and RMX. The ISA amp can be more suited to the cinema owner since its volume knobs are in the rear and not as easily tampered with. The ISA has a dataport that can accept QSC's analog crossovers or work with the DCM monitor line. The ISA features terminal blocks for speaker out...more suited to the permanent installation. About the only thing that the ISA doesn't bring to the table in its price range is that it is 3U tall and about a mile deep. It also weighs a ton.

If you want to sractch your head a bit...compare the CX line and the DCA line...aside from the color of the name plate, they are near identical (they are identical inside). A fellow dealer that is on the pro side compared our prices on the two lines...we could sell DCAs for the same price he could sell CX amps. At the AFI/Silver theatre, they supplied the CX amps for the PA system, we supplied the DCA amps for the cinema system...one nice thing was that based on color, one knew what they amp went to....go figure.

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2005 10:41 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the RMX would be suitable for cinema use. What about an amp such as the Crown XLS series. Im looking for an inexpensive amp to upgrade from older Smart amps. Something that is inexpensive and not very deep (most of my sound racks are wall mount and anthing above 14 inches deep will not fit). Any suggestions. Thanks.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-28-2005 09:43 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
which smart amps do you have there mosfet ones used the original Hafler design and sound very good

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 10:17 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Smart 240's and 242's. These are not very powerful amps.

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the reasons why there are some amplifiers that are exactly the same as other models, but with the writing “not for cinema use”, is for avoiding concurrency among vendors. If I sell cinema equipment, cinema owners must ask prices of cinema equipment to me, not to a music/concerts/studios vendor. This is what some dealers told me.

Andy Bergstrom
Film Handler

- posted 03-28-2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Andy Bergstrom   Email Andy Bergstrom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which of the Smart amps are of Haffler decent? Do you have to open them up to determine this?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-28-2005 07:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ferdinando Innocenti
One of the reasons why there are some amplifiers that are exactly the same as other models, but with the writing “not for cinema use”, is for avoiding concurrency among vendors. If I sell cinema equipment, cinema owners must ask prices of cinema equipment to me, not to a music/concerts/studios vendor. This is what some dealers told me.

Fernando,
As I said above its all marketing bullshit devised by QAC to keep the cinema dealers JUST selling the (supposed) cinema line! In fact the RMX amps work very well for cimema use. If you have knob twidddlers just pull the knobs off and get some plastic plugs as I have done. Having the gains on the front actually makes setup a tad bit easier too. What type of jacks are on the back make no difference to me as one can get very good connections with either binding post or screw type terminal block. You aren't going to ever find screw terminal block type on any real high end amplification equipment......

quote: Andy Bergstrom
Which of the Smart amps are of Haffler decent? Do you have to open them up to determine this?

Thats easy... the ones that always work [thumbsup] !!

Mark

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2005 05:20 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
If you have knob twidddlers just pull the knobs off and get some plastic plugs as I have done.
You can get those little plugs in various sizes in the Specialty Hardware bins/drawers in the fastener section (where you find bolts & screws) at Loew's. Cheap, effective, fast!

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-29-2005 09:32 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what is a good, inexpensive amp that isn't very deep? 14 inches or less

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-29-2005 11:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would watch E-Bay for used USA 900's or 1400's. Good amps that can be has very inexpensively if you keep a watch out.

Mark

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2005 11:34 AM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long ago did QSC stop producing the USA series? How reliable are these amps?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-31-2005 12:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The USA series is fairly recent--they were popular in the late '90s and possibly the early '00s.

The USA and MX series are very reliable and sound good. Most of the theatres around here use QSC and I have never personally experienced or even heard about a failure. Replacement parts are available from QSC, so buying an older model shouldn't be a problem.

I have not seen the DCA series, but assume that they are just as good.

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2005 01:38 PM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have installed my last QSC USA in 2001.

I have a problem with one channel of a USA 1310, after 4 years and in about 300 amplifiers! reliable, isn't it?

they are deep from 10 to 11 feet, depens on the model, the biggest (and the most powerful,of course) is USA 1310.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: