Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Oil quantity for Prevost P70

Author Topic: Oil quantity for Prevost P70
Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2005 02:51 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just drained out the oil on my newly acquired Prevost P70. On the back of the machine in the lower corner is what I think is and oil gauge. It is a small round window with a red spot it the middle. Not much oil (approx quarter of a litre came out). I poured in the new oil from the top and kept pouring and checking the oil gauge but after putting in about 1 to 2 litres I still cannot see any oil appearing in the gauge. I don't want to put in any more in case the gauge isn't working and I overfill the machine. Does anyone know how much oil should be in this machine?

BTW, when I run it, the receptacle on the top of the machine fills with the new oil to show it is pumping round the mech.
The kind people at Prevost are sending me a manual but until then I could do with advice.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2005 03:19 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Matthew,
Found an old manual in German for the P 70 (Favorit 70).
It says it depends somewhat on the projection angle, but
a good figure is 1,5 liters.

Is your P 70 installed in a theater? How do you like it?

Thomas

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2005 04:09 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. I have it installed at home. It is a really nice machine - very quiet and a rock steady picture. Have you experience with these in cinemas? What do you think of them?

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew,

Did you get all the 70MM "stuff" with it (like the gate, and pull down sprocket)? I have a favorit 70, but don't have what it takes to have it run 70MM, and have not tried to get it work yet.

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2005 05:41 AM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the same situation as you, I don't have the gate or sprocket for 70mm.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2005 06:01 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew,
I´ve worked with the Favorit 70 in my theater. I liked it
very much. It runs very silent, as you say. For an open
projector head, even 70mm prints run quite silent. They
produced sharp, steady pictures in all formats. Not DP70
quality, but still a very, very good performer.

Have you asked Prevost for the 70mm parts? Or tried here in
equipment for sale forum?

Best of luck with your P70.

Thomas

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2005 09:13 AM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used Prevost P70 for a long time; the ones I worked on have everything you need for 70mm presentations, and recently I had some 70mm films, one of them (Vertigo by Hitchcock) with DTS timecode.

I think P70 is the best Prevost projector, for steadiness, reliability, it runs very quiet. I installed a ACL Voigt laser for cyan tracks, and it goes on so well.

For the question about oil, you must put in more than 1 litre, less than 1,5 litre. Check if the pump which makes oil drop on the gears works.

[ 03-26-2005, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Ferdinando Innocenti ]

Matthew Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2005 12:39 PM      Profile for Matthew Taylor   Email Matthew Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ferdinando, how do I check if that pump is working? The sight glass on top of the projector fills up with oil when it is running - is this what you mean?

Ferdinando Innocenti
Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2005 05:33 AM      Profile for Ferdinando Innocenti   Email Ferdinando Innocenti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is. The “pump” is a system of gears that makes oil drops on the mechanical parts which need to be lubricated.
It is not a real pump as you can see in a Prevost P93, for example.

If you don’t want to open the engine (I advice you not to do if the projector works!), the only way to check if everything is ok is by the sight glass: it must be fill when projector is running.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: