Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Erneman 35mm Projectors

Author Topic: Erneman 35mm Projectors
Matt Hollis
Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Matt Hollis   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hollis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello once again ladies and gentlemen. Does anyone on here use or have any information on Erneman 35mm projectors. I am looking for some positives and negatives as far as the picture it produces, maintainance required, and ease of use. Thanks for your help.

Matt

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2005 04:03 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt
What Ernemann projector are we talking about? They have
been made for almost 100 years. I have worked with Ernemann
II, IV, V, VIIIB and IX. All made by Zeiss Ikon and generally
very good. Only weakness is a tendency to leak oil. I´ve also
worked with the non-Zeiss Ernemann XII (the helicopter), the
ugliest and lousiest machine I´ve ever had the misfortune to
be working with. I have never worked with the Ernemann 15, but
it´s known to be a good machine.

Thomas

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For their present product line, look here

Ernemann CineTec Home

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-25-2005 09:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have about 15 of them in my service area and I have basically zero problems with them. They don't leak and they ALL still have the original analog Lasers in them. They do have several weak points and the main one is the distance the aperature plate is back from the film and the velvet runners. Velvet is just not a day in day out material for the average multiplex operation. All this results in somewhat of an unsharp edge on the image. I've also rep[laced a couple of the Papst outer rotor motors as well, they are quite pricey at about 800.00 U.S., Kinoton uses the same exact motor! I was able to install new bearings in one of them and that location now has a spare motor. Also, additional cooling fans may be needed for lamps above 2kw.

Mark @ CLACO

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2005 05:46 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
I guess you are talking about the Ernemann 15? I have no
experience with them, but all the older Ernemanns I´ve worked
with leaked oil, especially the Ernemann IX. Besides that I
never had any trouble at all with them. German quality! The
one I liked most was Ernemann VIIIB. Nice and quiet. Looked
beatiful with magazine covers and original Zeiss arc lamp, all
in light grey hammer finnish.

Thomas

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-26-2005 06:56 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, a 6 micron slit and a source that remains constant for an extended life....that laser light system sounds very appealing. Does anyone else use a laser in the reverse scan systems? I thought Smart did at one time but it is no longer in their catalog. How bout sticking a laser in one end of a forward scanner instead of the white exciter like the home brew hi-intensity LED unit?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-26-2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank that is how the ACL laser works

Also the only erneman machine I disliked was the 9 terrible lens mount
The 8b was a workhorse

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-26-2005 08:59 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The laser seems to be a great idea as Frank states, but it is not a good way to light a soundtrack. It is the very essence of collimated light when what you need for this application is non-collimated or diffuse light.

Collimated light makes dirt and scratches on the soundtrack much more prominent.

Why it even sounds as good as it does is a mystery to me.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2005 12:28 PM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton also uses a laser unit for conversion of Bauer, Meopta and Ernemann projectors to read cyan track.

C.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-28-2005 12:17 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton does not make a laser unit for their own projector. Only the best for Kinoton?

BACP now make a reverse scan reader for the Meopta projector.

Our reader replaces the exciter lamp, relay mirror, front scan lens and solar cell.

We will be showing it in Amsterdam.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-28-2005 09:20 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah? What about the Eastman 25? Gotta reader for that?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-31-2005 06:50 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eastman 25....Yeah! a stereo one to fit my one-of-a-kind Kintek 16.(Yes, Dan, but what will we use for film?)

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 04-01-2005 07:50 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not heard of any plans for 16mm prints to convert to cyan dye tracks. It's a relatively small market, and labs usually have a slower processing machine dedicated to the format, so the environmental impact of maintaining soundtrack application and wash-off for dye+silver tracks is much less than for the billions of feet of 35mm release prints processed annually.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 12:58 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic of Ernemanns (the 15 series)...

Cost wise (initially, maintenance, resale), how are these comparable to other current projectors?

Any bang for the buck, with picure quality, etc.?

Do the units on their website, such as the E15-5000, come with the reels, projector, lamphouse, etc.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2005 02:30 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BUMP

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: