Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemeccanica lens turret alignment

Author Topic: Cinemeccanica lens turret alignment
Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 03:07 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My two Victoria 5 have the new (blue) 3-lens turrets. They
seem to need some adjusting, the lenses are not properly
centered.

It´s a good idea with the adjustment screws for "lens shift",
but I think one of the lenses should have been in a fixed
position(scope), and the other two adjustable.

Does anyone know in what position the screws are to be set
to be sure the lens is exactly centered in respect to the
optical axis? I´ve heard one should be vertical and the other
horizontal, but I can´t get it confirmed.

Thomas

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-16-2005 07:08 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..in the front of the turret, should be two screw adjustments per each lens - one for lateral, and the other vertical alignmets. - Monte

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 06:58 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,
I know about the two adjustment screws. The question is, in what
position they should be set to have the lens centered to the
optical axis.

I was going to email Cinemeccanica Italy about it, but their
website has been gone for a week now. Wonder what has happened?

Thomas

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-17-2005 09:23 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use a alignotron and centre the scope lens holder on the apperture block
Align the machine with the screen and then adjust the flat lens to fit the centering of the masking

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 06:00 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas - Bedre svar kunne du ikke have fået i Rigsdagen... Indrøm !!

p [Big Grin]

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2005 07:43 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per,
Helt right. Vem fanden har en alignotron!!???
Lad dom fundere pa hvad vi skriver. Vi blir
kanske deleated for att vi skriver pa Skandinavisk?

Beste hilsen
Thomas

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-18-2005 11:06 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! No speaking in different languages! I know you are saying bad things about me ... [Wink]

But really, I just wanted to say that some new V5 turrets only have one lens positioning screw.

Get a pin hole aperture plate from Cinemeccanica. Thread a length of test film (SMPTE 35PA) and use the lens positioning screws to center each image.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John and Gordon,
Thanks for your advice. Perhaps I really need a tech
with all his alignment stuff to do this? I was just
trying to improve things a little on my own.

About the foreign language - just Per and me joking!
It´s actually a mix of danish, swedish and english.

Thomas

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2005 04:27 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a commercial due to the HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN 200 Years of birth celebration [beer]

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2005 06:27 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use a pin hole apperture plate to help center the projector onto the screen and the lens onto the screen. Also it is a great tool to ensure the xenon is aligned correctly.

Dont forget of using the older grey 3 lens turrets, one of them is center on the film for Mag stripped film, the other two are off set. Can't remember if the ne wlarger blue ones have a centere lens holder.

Darren

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: