Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » My first time back in the booth after a one-year hiatus

Author Topic: My first time back in the booth after a one-year hiatus
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 04:11 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As some of you may know, I 'stopped' being a projectionist about 14 months ago to start my own business (a video store). Since then, I have encountered withdrawal symptoms and pangs of nostalgia, although I also love what I do now. (Why can't one do everything?)

Occasionally, one of my ex haunts will call up if they are deperate for a relief projectionist (you'd HAVE to be deperate to call ME!). So then, the relief projectionist gets some relief from the aforementioned pangs of nostalgia. (This projection thing gets in your blood, and once it does...)

This week was such an occasion - 2 day shifts. Since John Wilson left this particular cinema (a while ago now) and the other full-timer in charge of projection there was on holidays, the place - when I turned up - was being run entirely by casuals. By casuals, I am referring more to their level of care (or lack thereof) rather than their terms of employment.

And how it shows...the person that worked the night before I showed up must have been in a hurry to get out of there. Gates that haven't been cleaned? Prints that haven't been moved to their correct location? Oily spills? These were certainly not the trademarks this great cinema was known for when I worked there last! Recently, this place has been a bit of an employee 'revolving door', whereas before it had a few dedicated people working there regularly (including the excellent full-timer who is still there but is now away).

Print handling is another area that has slipped a bit, as evidenced by the condition of pre-show material - changing out trailers really does require TLC, otherwise quality goes out the window. When not done right, it is fairly obvious.

On the upside, 'Million Dollar Baby' is still spotless after 170 runs, so at least someone's been using the Filmguard! On the downside, another print had a longitudinal base scratch... [uhoh]

The place still has more good than bad going for it, but I found it a little depressing to think back to what it once was. I suppose, looking ahead, with the right roster of personnel things could be put right again.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience, but it showed me how my enjoyment of working in a booth is so directly connected with how well that booth is run. Consequently, I didn't enjoy myself as much as I wanted to. This is obviously also true for the audience.

So that's that! Of course, it won't be the last time I project film. I can't bear to think about that! (Of course, if someone from there reads this, it may be the last time I project film *there*!)

Are there any VERY part-time projectionists out there who can share an experience of returning to the booth after a long hiatus?

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 06:31 PM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael--

It's a GREAT thing....when you're out of the booth for a while
and to return....just like being back home, eh? [Smile]

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with you Michael. Needless to say, the booth that I was working in wasn't the same location. But upon gaining the position, I attempted to clean the place up. It was a mess. I got it clean for the most part, but when it all came down to it, it would never stay that way. But I do have to say that once you've been in the booth, there is no better feeling than coming back to it after a hiatus.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 11:29 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael.

No one will be upset about your post. (at that location)
You should see the crap I say about Hoyts! (and they KNOW they are crap) So I know the feeling.

I suspect EVERYONE who has worked somewhere exspects MORE or equal on return to the 'old stamping ground' after a year 'off'

It's just HIGH exspectations that have let you down.
Thing is, if you do a few more shifts, just DRILL down and tell these fools what they are doing wrong. Note it ALL in the diary and comment to management.

I do know the head projectionist and Jenny are on holidays. Take that into account. He will kick but when he gets back, and be happy that you have looked after the place while he has been away.

Perhaps one day John will return. That could mean trouble!
(Going by your disappointment)

BTW: If GABE has stuffed up, let me know. However he should be doing a good job from what I've seen of his performance he is fine.

Bill.

Jannette McQueen
Film Handler

- posted 03-17-2005 07:07 PM      Profile for Jannette McQueen   Email Jannette McQueen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand how you feel!

I changed theaters about a year and a half ago. The first theater I worked at had an immaculate booth. Always perfect. So then I moved over to my new theater and it wasn't a disastar, but it was different.

Back when I started at the newer theater most of the projectionists doubled as cash clerks, so after all the movies had been started, they were pulled down into the office to help the box people and concessionists cash out, verify tills, do the data entry and whatnot, to help out the managers. So that didn't leave them hardly any time to do a proper cleanup at the end of the projection day, and they just got into a habit of not doing it, not that it mattered because there wasn't time anyway.

So then I started and since old habits die hard, I worked the same way I always did. Cleaned the booth like mad, still doing my end of the night cleaning of the projectors. Everything runs pretty clean anyway, so een if I am the only one who does it, only if I'm away for a while does it get a little dusty, but aside from that we're in pretty good shape now. Our technicians have even said on multiple occasions how clean our booth is, which is always a great feeling, I'd like to think I had something to do with that.

As awful as it is to have things get dirty, it's good to know that you still offer something extra, and it's great when that get noticed.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: