Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strange damage on SDDS reader (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strange damage on SDDS reader
Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater have two Victoria 5 with SDDS DFP R2000 readers
mounted between the upper spool arm and the projector head.
On both readers the black color on the rollers are beginning
to fade away. On some all the way round, on some like dots
here and there.

A real strange thing is, on projector 2īs reader, three of
the rollers have damage like someone has slipped with a screw-
driver or something. Itīs almost like the metal has been
chipped away. No one has been near the thing with a tool.
The latest one occoured about a week ago.

Anyone with SDDS readers with the same kind of problem? What
could possibly cause this kind of damage? I just canīt figure
it out.

Thomas
 -

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2005 04:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas,
This is not uncommon at all and is flaking off of the anodize(or hard coat). I have seen this happen eventually on most of the 2000 penthouses rollers. The alignmant of the rollers is very critical and if they are not set at the factory properly all at the same height (exactly) then this uneven wear starts when the anodize wears down and begins to get thin. It happens from the film edge wearing away at the coating. I use a digital height gauge to set them up in our shop and replacement of these rollers by a competant tech is the only way do deal with this. Sony did make an alignment gauge speciffically for setting these up but I trust the height gauge more than I do their tool!

Personally I would get them repaired pretty soon as parts for them are getting somewhat hard to get. You may want to e-mail Robbie Hildago about this. He may be able to at least with the new rollers or good used ones. robbie@cinematech.org Robbie was the Service Manager at Sony for these systems and actually knows then better than the factory does.

Hope this gives you some ideas.....

Mark @ CLACO

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 08:35 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,
Thank you very much for your reply. Do you mean poor
alignment really could have caused this damage? Itīs
hard to see it on the photo, but itīs not only the
black color gone, but a real "cut" in the metal leaving
sharp edges. Like someone has slipped with a screwdriver.
I have polished it very carefully with a fine grain
sandpaper, but I donīt feel very comfortable using the
reader in this condition. So I donīt at the moment.

Thanks for your advice where to get the rollers. The
question is for how long prints will have SDDS tracks, if
itīs worth the cost of replacing most of the rollers?

Thomas

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 09:42 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance a reel dropped on the rollers?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2005 10:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Babb
Any chance a reel dropped on the rollers?

Definitely not! I can't tell you how many sony rollers I've seen that look like his...... countless literally!

Mark

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 10:30 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
No reels dropped. All three damaged rollers are on the lower part of the reader. One is the 35/70mm roller and the damage is on the 35mm part.

Is it possible the metal is of such low quality, bad splices could cause this kind of damage? What also puzzles me is, it has happened on projector 2 only.

Thomas

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 10:40 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm SDDS roller [Confused]

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 11:45 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick,
Yes, the 2000-series SDDS readers actually have two 35/70mm rollers
to allow 70mm prints to pass the reader. I think Dolbyīs penthouse
reader also have 35/70mm rollers.

Thomas

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 12:11 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Do you enforce cleaning of rollers.
If you do. How are the rollers normally cleaned.
It shoulde be be with a soft damp cloth (or an impregnated 'chux')

Seems to me that the only way that damage was done is during a rushed cleaning effort.

Do you use tools of ANY type to clear the gate and trap, like and old brass aperture plate?

I can't seem to how normal passage of film or cleaning can damage the roller in such a way.

I would by-pass that roller and sound head until you replace the roller. Though the damage would not effect the image, it's just not nice.

Dick,

Mag Penthouses (Oh the 'old days') ( Oh I still dream about JJ's & Vic 8's)

Cat 700/701
DTS
SDDS

All use or are supplied with 70/35mm rollers.

Even Kelmar film cleaners that we NOW use filmguard for have 70mm by-pass rollers.

All come with 70mm by-pass rollers.

Even Speco platters and muts have them.

But nine times of ten they are more of of a pain in the ass than useful

Bill.

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 02:29 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
No tools are used for cleaning. A damp cloth is used, and sometimes acetone to get rid off dirt stuck real hard. Gate cleaned the same way plus a toothbrush to clean the velvet bands. I also use canned
air to blow away dust.

If careless cleaning was a cause, then damage should be everywhere on both machines, but itīs the rollers on the SDDS reader on
projector 2 only.

Thomas

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-16-2005 10:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually you can see what is pretty normal wear on the inside flanges of the upper right and lower right rolllers. I see this on ALOT of the 2000 penthouses out there. Keep in mind that it does take a number of years of use to get to this point. This was caused because the rollers were not correctly aligned laterally. The film will eventually wear through the hard coat anodize on these rollers. The second roller down on the right side is the later version hardened steel roller and is a critical input guide roller. This is on a Sony 2000 that is up for sale on E-Bay. Basically, its a pretty worn out penthouse and those rollers are getting hard to get. Sprockets are not a problem though. They want 500.00 for this... I wouldn't give them 50 bucks, I bet even the sprocket is shot as its not the hard coated version.

Mark

-

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2005 08:14 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just discovered one more scar. This one is exactly like
the first one on the 70mm roller - it seems to start
under the black coating, then a small fraction falls off.

Thomas

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-18-2005 08:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly! Thats the great built in Sony quality......

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-18-2005 10:17 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally decided to take off the readers and examine
them more closely. A pretty sight it wasnīt. I much
doubt I will put them back to use again.

A pity because the sound was excellent, even though
two out of three prints wouldnīt play.

Thomas

Robbie Hidalgo
Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2005 04:54 PM      Profile for Robbie Hidalgo   Email Robbie Hidalgo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,

From the look of your photo, I completely agree with Mark. Generally, two "wear" symptoms occur with the SDDS rollers. One is the consistent wear on the flange of the 35mm portion of the 35/70's and/or on the straight 35's, and the other is almost a chip or flake section where the wear began and a chip of anodizing came off. The chip usually occurs on the roller surface, and the wear usually occurs on the flange, though the wear can also occur on the roller surface if the unit is old enough.

Causes are as Mark explained, and also misalignment of the reader relative to the projector and/or feed roller (not uncommon). This usually shows up as excessive wear on the 35/70 flanges, which eventually migrates down to the next rollers in the chain as it worsens.

It can be fixed. But I definitely agree, if you see something sharp, don't thread it... [Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: