Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Aviator intermission (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Aviator intermission
Steve Pike
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 01:43 PM      Profile for Steve Pike   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello

we use a tower system and have to place an intermission in "The Aviator" - however we would like to know a suitable place to put the intermission - ie. at the end of reel number X.

many thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Steve.

Why do you HAVE to have an INTERVAL/INTERMISSION?

Get the manager idoit to sit through the thing enough times until he decides where to cut the 'tape'.

As far as I know AVIATOR is not designed for an intermission.

Dont see what using a TOWER has to with it.

In fact I know it's not. This joker is just after a candy bar double dip.

But if you must, I suggest just BEFORE the bit where he crashes the plane and destroys a whole neighborhood !!

Bill.

Steve Pike
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Steve Pike   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually yes it is because the reels can only hold 2 hours 30 mins - and the film is 2hrs 49mins.

so we will need to have an intermission.

[ 03-13-2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Steve Pike ]

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 02:14 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"the manager idiot"
"this joker is just after a candy bar double-dip"

God forbid someone tries to think outside the box to increase revenues for his theatre ...

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 02:19 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Steve,

I assumed towers could hold over 3 and 1/2 hours of film.

I was used to EPRAD muts. (That is my vision of TOWERS, I've never really seen a REAL tower, I'm not even sure what they are.

That said, I feel the best part for interval is when he is about crash. THey will discuss what MIGHT happen in the foyer!

Bill.

SO, MIKE.

More revenue for your theatre, does that equate to more in your pocket? Clearly you are are in UPPER mangagement, not just lowly floor staff or projectionist like the rest of us.

Steve Pike
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 02:25 PM      Profile for Steve Pike   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey its cool

ok thanks for the advice [Big Grin]

this is a pic of the type of system i use .... westrex tower

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 02:37 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, Thanks for the pictures.

Steve, I see what you mean, those reels would be lucky to hold a 6 to 7 reel feature.

You NEED an interval!!

I'll watch the movie and decide a place for you. Unless some one else already knows a better a better place than my plane crash thing.

Bill.

Steve Pike
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Steve Pike   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehe yep

ok that wil be cool [Smile]

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the goals of a manager in any building is to try and increase his building's profitability. This may or may not affect his income (bonus/comission programs & such) ... but either way it's not a bad thing.

Mike Baer
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 02:57 PM      Profile for Mike Baer   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Baer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
here in Switzerland we always have intermissions.
So i put the intermission of Aviator after Reel 4.This will be after aprox.1 hour and 5 minutes.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 03:03 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give me a break.

I used to a manager who like his location make more money per head in the door than the rest of curcuit.
Did I get thanks, Erm maybe, but one stuff up and your dirt.

I've given that up, I just push ON/OFF on the projector now.
It starts and ends at me turning projectors on and off.

For you it starts and ends at cutting costs and staff, the end result is that you leave the company you are working for.

If you are saving them money, and NOT getting a cent for it, YOU are a FOOL.

BELIEVE ME.

Admit it.

Don't tell me you not looking out for bonuses.

EVERYONE is, I was. For all the money I saved them, I never saw a thing.

Bill.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 03:21 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually ... I do not have a profitability bonus ... does that affect how I run my building? No ... Obviously you had a bad experience with a company, and are now trying to paint all employers with that same brush.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 03:32 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geezz BILL.. Do YOU have SOME problem with MANAGEMENT at your LOCATION?

Back to reality...

Putting in an intermission where none is supposted to be probably violates the studios licensing agreement, unless you are forced to for techinical reasons (as the original poster was).

However, at the same time, thinking of ways to maximize revenue, improve operations, etc, is being a good manager, not a bad one. Adding intermissions is not feasable, but out of the box thinking should be encouraged because that is where the best ideas come from. If you don't want to do things like that Bill, fine, go back to "turning projectors on and off", but don't attack people who want to do more that than in thier operations.

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

I was 'forcing' intervals around 20 years ago. ie 'the projector broke down' (once a week, blame Head office/tech ppl) I was doing THAT back then, to get more sales from the candy bar. (we ran the candy bar and took all profits) I WAS thinking outside the box way back then. Sure helped pay for the house.

HOWEVER
I did not realise STEVE had a REAL technical problem involing the towers not holding enough film.

As for Mike jumping in. I quite liked his manager atttide.
To me it read;
"Im not in it for the money or bonuses, I'm in for my company and bosses to make money, as much money as they can, THANKS to me" GREAT - Go MIKE.

If any of his bosses ever do a search for any of his messages THEY will be VERY pleased.

Bill.

PS Mike and Jim. Yes a company did annoy me. They are mentioned in most of my posts. But it is NOT thew company itself that annoys me, just few dumb ass UPPER management morons.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-13-2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you overload those tower reels by a couple of inches' worth of film? Doing so would probably require that someone be next to the tower for the first and last part of each show (making it impractical for regular multiplex use), but it might work if you just want to show the film once or twice.

As for maximizing profitability, I agree that doing so is a Good Thing in _most_ cases. What happens all too often, however, is that an emphasis is placed on short-term profitability at the expense of long-term profitability, by such means as "upselling" to an obnoxious degree, screen ads, and general lack of showmanship. This results in alienated customers and causes long-term profitability to suffer.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: