Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound Level Meter Recommendations?

Author Topic: Sound Level Meter Recommendations?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 03-13-2005 04:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been using my analog Radio Shack meter for many years. But it seems longevity was not part of the original design.

-

Sometimes it works, most of the time it does not. Even with a fresh battery the needle will occasionally stick, not work at all, not respond to any changes in the settings (weighting, range, etc) and need to be whacked to wake up. Whenever I set it to BATTERY it never hesitates to respond, however.

This meter is supposedly fairly accurate and people do not like the digital version of this meter, as I've heard bad things about it. Does anyone have any recommendations on a comparably priced unit like this? Or any tips on how to get this thing working correctly again? I have a friend who has the same meter and his has the same symptoms as well.

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-13-2005 04:37 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
While I have no suggestion for a replacement, I must say that mine still works great. It is a great SPL meter for a quick check.

It really is too bad that RS decided to discontinue that analog meter and make that POS digital version. Which I think is no longer available as well.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 03-13-2005 05:50 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This SPL meter from Voltcraft
 -
which is what we in good ole' Europe used to have, and which looks so similar it must be a license version or something like that, APPEARS to be still available.
Go to http://www.conrad.com/, click on the Union Jack (you can also click on the German, Hungarian, Russian, or any other flag you like, but I have a feeling the British flag will work best for you) and type "sound level meter" in "quick product search".

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-13-2005 06:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need a fancy and expensive meter. Just get a busload of old people from the local nursing home and a busload of kids from the local high school to come to your theatre. Offer them a free movie. Before the show, play pink noise. When the old people start screaming "it's too loud, you're hurting my ears!" then the SPL is about 65 dB. When the kids stop telling you to "turn it up!" then the SPL is about 105 dB. Set the levels to the intermediate position between the two extremes, and you will have a perfect 85 dB.

[evil]

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:42 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radio Sack still has the digital version. I have the analog one though. It's worked fine for 10 years. I did'nt know they stopped making it. Too bad. [Smile]

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:50 AM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed mine started to need a little nudge to get working every now and then and I think I bought it at least 10 yrs ago.......dang these things don't last long huh? [Wink]

I just found this one on the Rat Shack web site

Catalog #: 33-4050

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2005 09:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
I have an old Rat Shack meter you can have if you want it just e-mail me your address and I'll send it to you, or go visit Gord and have him take you to TS&S...... I use a trusty Bruel & Kjaer 2205 meter that I bought on a trip up to see Gord. 80 bucks at Toronto Science And Surplus. Gord bought one too! Built like a tank and I get it calibrated once a year.

Mark

-

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-13-2005 09:27 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Just get a busload of old people from the local nursing home and a busload of kids from the local high school
[Big Grin] Hahahahaaa!! Scott, that's too funny! [Big Grin]

Btw, my Rat Shack analog SPL meter still works, too. Got it in 1980.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 10:48 AM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like most people, I've used the original RadioScrap analog spl meter with good results overall. I take the opportunity to calibrate it whenever I happen to be working with someone who has the proper gear, or one that has been calibrated more recently than mine. When it got lost recently, I found myself having to buy one on the road, and ended up getting the then model Scott mentioned a few posts up. It was either this one or the digital model, which I have used, and don't like at all.
This new analog one seems to work well, and has all the same functions, however the mic element is a bit smaller, which makes me wonder about its accuracy at lower frequencies. (Not that you can really use an spl to accurately set a sub anyway.)
When I got back, I was able to do some not very scientific comparisons with another older analog unit, and it seemed to be fairly accurate overall. I still prefer the older one though.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 03-13-2005 11:31 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! $80 (I assume Canadian) for a B&K! I need to see if I can make a score like that. If their meters are anything like their instrumentation mics, they'll be jewels of perfection.

I too have the older RatShack analog meter. Still works just fine, which it should, given how little it gets used.

For those having intermittent problems with the meter, could it be a case of some solder joints going bad? Might be able to fix things by reheating some connections.

[ 03-13-2005, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-13-2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is the one I use
http://www.r-safe.net/IH%20Pages/InstrumentPages/CEL-231Sound.htm

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2005 02:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord, You should sell your B&K to Paul!

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 06:53 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Radio Shack does stock repair parts in Fort Worth for many of their products. I suggest getting the service manual and looking up the part number for the meter itself (if you're having needle sticking problems) and just order a replacement meter.

MCM Electronics (www.mcminone.com) sells an analog sound level meter as their # 72-6604 (around $80).

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:23 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also try going over the solder joints for the switches. Could also be a hairline crack in the PC board. This happened to my old one. I was able to fix it. (Before I lost it)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: