Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » My Star Wars trailer was spliced out of frame, was yours? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: My Star Wars trailer was spliced out of frame, was yours?
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 02:26 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else have this problem. My SWIII trailer to the Ice Age short ended up being out of frame. There was a clear tape splice that I had to redo.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2005 02:48 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope I checked and changed the splice during build up to prevent this from happening. I don't trust any of those spliced on trailers.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 03:22 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A while back a fox print of mine had 2 and a half feet of the tail of the original attachment and another trailer spliced on, out of frame.

I check every tape splice I find regardless of who made it.
Who wants to look stupid over something someone else did?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2005 03:29 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waahh! So big deal! - Fix it! Aint gonna kill you...!

Lab, or depot people don't watch out for things like that very well. They don't know much about "letterbox" trailers - just know what a frameline is.

I've encountered many of these from the labs/depots. I've learned to "live with it" and not gripe about stupid trivial matters.

This is what being a projectionist is all about: Shit DOES happen...!

-Monte

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Waahh! So big deal! - Fix it! Aint gonna kill you...!
quote:
This is what being a projectionist is all about: Shit DOES happen...!
Monte, you rock! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

AJG

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-13-2005 09:36 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a better one for you. When I ran the original release of Grease at a drive-in, circa 1978, the leader to the 2nd reel was spliced out of frame... in the dupe negative!! After the second night of changing over to that reel and it coming up out of frame, I knew something was wrong. Sure enough, I counted sprocket holes, and the leader went out of frame somewhere between the "3" and the start of picture.

That was the only time I ever had to CUT a new, unspliced piece of film to PUT it in frame.

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 09:54 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not bitching....I was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

But

You are the man Monte [beer]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2005 11:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx guys, but didn't "mean" to come on too mean. (Getting to be a mean "ol fart"..LOL)..just love to get to the point on some matters.

Try when someone, with acetate film, wet spliced a 100 ft. section of film upside down within a reel and you feel stupid that you had to present it since you didn't inspect the reel when the print came in. A coinsidence: it was a used print of "Grease" that I ran at a drive-in in 1979-danged yard was full of 400 cars..LOL...try to explain that one to the manager who's getting the gripeout from customers, plus the yard is doing their horn chorus.

-thx Monte

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-13-2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
didn't "mean" to come on too mean.
You're entitled to it Monte. It comes from paying "old fart" dues!

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 03:17 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a CINEFEX interview, Mr Lucas said that he broke off enough fingernails peeling off tape, opening and remaking splices during the STAR WARS editing process.

Now you can't expert Mr L. to check all the splices for you, if you do not run his trailers in digital magick, you have to do it yourself. [Big Grin]

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 03:34 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
negative, ours was in frame.

Reguardless i have made it my personal "rule" to never assume that the projectionist who spliced the film before me had the time to do it just right.

Id rather put a film up 2 minutes late because I checked every splice, than have it go up on time...and not stay in frame throughout the whole presentation.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-13-2005 07:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Richard, you got burned once and assuming you are one of them smart 'uns, you will never trust another depot splice again. I'd say about 10% of them are out of frame, so you simply cannot rely that they will be in frame, but now you know better. [Wink]

BTW, my splice on both prints WAS in frame at both the head and tail of the trailer. However all 4 of the depot splices were pathetic beyond description and I would have never let it run through a projector. They had to be remade anyway, just like they ALWAYS do for quality's sake. [Mad]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-13-2005 08:01 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least out of frame depot splices can be fixed (and hopefully caught on inspection). The ones that I can't stand will cut into the opening fadein and/or soundtrack of the feature, which of course can't be fixed without a replacement reel (which Brad can probably get for his theatre, but which I can't for most of the shows that I do). [Mad]

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 08:14 PM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tim Reed
I've got a better one for you. When I ran the original release of Grease at a drive-in, circa 1978, the leader to the 2nd reel was spliced out of frame...
It's an eventful life in the movie industry, isn't it . . . .

(sorry, couldn't resist [Wink] )

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-13-2005 08:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The ones that I can't stand will cut into the opening fadein and/or soundtrack of the feature,
Hey Scott...I can tell you a secret on this one: Let's go back to 1977, when the original StarWars came out.

I worked for Mann Theatres at that time running booth at large single screen house. With circuit ownership, there is that always required "policy/feature" tag that must be attached at the front of the first reel.

Got SW in and was ready to attach this tag, but noticed that the soundtrack information started way back into the academy leader and long before the negative attachment splice, where I was going to cut the leader off anyway to attach this tag. And obviously, I wasn't going to cut into Lionel Newman's famous "Fox Fanfare" piece.

What I did was, a foot before the fanfare began, was take vinyl electrical tape, laid it across the remaining part of the lead that still had numbers, thus I can made my cut a good foot above the fanfare entry, thus preserving the complete fanfare, and having a good black entry into the presentation, since I had to attach that tag before all of this.

Another small trick that I did with this original SW release: we all know that end of Reel 1 and the beginning of Reel 2 is a fadeout changeover. I used to place a sliver of this electrical tape on edge where the last number was on the lead of Reel 2, so I would have an "audible" splice to let me know that is when to open up that machine's dowser so I could have a smooth flowing opening fade changeover to the 2nd reel when the 1st reel scene would fade out. I would have my 2nd reel's number at "9" in the framebox on my XL's, so I would have a perfect fade changeover between these two reels.

..little tricks in being of professional presentation that I used to do.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: