Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A green DP 70! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: A green DP 70!
Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2005 09:09 AM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found a german website with some 70mm projectors,
among them a DP 70 painted green (!), with the upper
spoolbox mounted under the lamphouse table.

web page

Probably painted green for some special reason. I´ve never
heard of any DP 70 painted other than the original bronze
color. Perhaps Mark Gulbrandsen know some more?

Thomas

|  IP: Logged

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2005 01:42 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a couple of shades of the brownish color, one was more of a golden brown. Looks like this one's been modified quite a bit. The "control panel" has been changed quite a bit too.
People do strange things to their projectors.

My DP70 is painted silver and black hammertone.
http://www.muellersatomics.com/homepage/film12.htm

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 03-12-2005 02:37 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two that were in the Stag at Skywalker were painted a gun-metal gray color.

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2005 09:27 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,
That green one is GAWD AWFUL! It must have been done by some interior decorator that had a bad nightmare the night before..... Its obviously for a lobby display..... I also wouldn't want that wall paper thats behind it in my booth! And we can thank GAWD that he didn't paint it pink!

There have been machines that have been "Eismanized" and the Skywalker machines, and perhaps Greg's fall in that catagory, it is also reported that some "Eismanazing" has also been performed by Internationsl Cinema Equipment in Miami, perhaps Dan is franchising his process....

BTW: Aaron, Installing new "James Bond" curved runners on those Skywalker machines took care of the really poor 35mm performance big time, and another batch of those runners is in the works. So far we have put back into manufacture the Short Xenon Lamphouse table, gate bands, stainless steel 35mm intermittent sprocket, VKF 35mm feed/holdback sprockets, pad rollers, new direct drive motor drive and mount system. We plan on keeping the between 50 and 60 or so DP-70's in this area running a long,long time for a reasonable price.

Mark @ CLACO

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's "Eismanized"?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2005 10:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Person on the west coast that rebuilds film equipment and also does custom work. Known to paint something a different color than it originally was....

Mark

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 11:48 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine wouldn't be "Eismanized" then. I had all my castings sand blasted and then repainted them myself. All the bearings were replaced and all the gears too. The intermittent was rebuilt and virtually all parts are as close to "new" condition as is possible, given the 50 years since it was made. I still have a few parts to acquire, but I would say I'm 90% new. If I were 100% then I wouldn't have anything to do. But no "Eisman" here.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've torn down many movements that were still like new inside and had no signs of wear.... pretty amazing considering the wallpaper sized film that ran through them over the decades of use they saw. Have seen gears, bearings, and shafts in alot of differnt states. Some of the orignal motors were way to hard on the main drive gear train and those normally show some wear. We have switched to inverter drive motors on all DP-70 installations. We generally set them for a nice 6 second run up and down time. That is much easier on those main drive gears!

Mark

Thomas Jonsson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 03:26 PM      Profile for Thomas Jonsson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
I agree the DP70 looks terrible in green. The red dots
must be the machine partly blushing of embarrasement.

Your new motors for the DP70, do you mount them on the
original gearbox or on a completely new bracket?

Greg Mueller,
Your DP70 looks great! But one thing confused me a little.
All DP70´s I´ve seen (until now) have two small "signs"
on the projector head door (Philips logo and AO), but your machine has just one. What does it say?

Thomas

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2005 04:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, We mount them on a completely new bracket The motor is direct drive to the input shaft. These also have a feature that automatically jogs them to the thread position when the motor stops.

Mark

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2005 04:43 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas
It says...
"North American Philips Company.....Norelco"
I've got the two "wing" shields, at least the metal parts, but I have only one of the "shields" that go in them. I was going to have them chromed or gold plated (whatever)and install them, if I ever find the other shield. The search goes on....
Since that picture was taken I've found, painted and installed a new arc lamp table that doesn't have any holes in it

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 01:06 PM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda like the green one in a stange way.
Check out this pair of DP70's.

http://www.uk70mm.com/cinemas/rex.html

Just been installed last Dec.

Darren

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2005 06:51 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT THE F... -GREEN ???!

It looks like as tank - Brad Miller will love this....

Sacrilege is the word !

p

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-15-2005 07:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Mueller
but I have only one of the "shields" that go in them.
Greg, We have a small bin full of shields and the inserts. Just e-mail me which one you need.

I think I will re-paint one of my FP-56's in retaliation for that Green DP-70. Lets see.... Purple with chartrouse end caps on the rollers [puke] . WTF*&$^%@@%$$$)! I'd like to know who the iddiot was that painted it to use for display when it should be running in the booth like when it was new!

Mark

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2005 01:33 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Darren Briggs
Check out this pair of DP70's.

http://www.uk70mm.com/cinemas/rex.html

Sharp equipment, sharp booth.

Knockout auditorium, & it's great to see that some folks understand off the bat that all the parts in the machine have to work for the whole thing to work.

That proscenium is an eyeball-sucker. Those folks will be back. Usually in the USA, those pierced surfaces usually had arrays of lights behind them so that sometimes you can stun people with the view front-lighted, then when they start to get acclimated, turn on the lights behind for the Close Encounters UFO tractor beam effect. I wonder if there were lights behind the proscenium grillework at the Rex.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: