Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xetron XCN-35 console w/christie bulb

Author Topic: Xetron XCN-35 console w/christie bulb
James S. Mellen
Film Handler

- posted 03-11-2005 01:11 PM      Profile for James S. Mellen   Email James S. Mellen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bulb lights just fine, but after 5 minutes, it seems to cut out and I can hear the ignition re-lighting it. This happens several times in rapid succession, then it is fine. Does this sound like a bulb issue?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-12-2005 02:43 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have some sort of failsafe device in the console that is acting up?

Sounds like the failsafe device in the exhaust stack, or if there is a failsafe device in the bulb blower section, a door switch failsafe that is getting out of alignment, that is acting up?

If it's in the stack, is there a lot of wind outside that is blowing across the exhaust port that kills the vacuum draw up the stack causing the failsafe "sailfin" to drop and thus dump the bulb down?

Some areas to check for this doesn't sound like a bulb problem but a failsafe circuit problem.

good luck - Monte

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2005 07:19 AM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds more like a bulb issue to me. The fact that it's trying to reignite indicate that the powersupply/ignitor are probably okay. How many hours on the bulb?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2005 07:54 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the bulb shuts off, do you hear the power supply clicking off then on. If so, do what Monte said. Also check the air vane switch inside the console on the blower motor for the lamp. I have seen that many times on the Xetron consoles. If all looks okay, change the bulb. [Smile]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-12-2005 10:42 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The XCN-35 console usually has an IREM power supply.

Several good suggestion have already been made: I will add that sometimes the vane sail safety switch needs to be bent forward slightly so that it "cups" more air. If there is heavy dust build-up, it can clog the sail safety switch. Check the roof exhaust (if there is one.) It's belt may be bad, causing it to either stop working or operate at a reduced rate.

Check that the DC connections are tight; If the terminals are loose or corroded, they will conduct OK when cold, but when they warm up they expand. This expansion may be just enough to 'break' the connection.

Question: Did this just start happening by itself, or was the bulb changed and then it happened? Were you using a different manufacturer's xenon bulb previously?

I notice that very rarely, but some power supplies just don't like some xenon bulbs.

James S. Mellen
Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2005 09:41 PM      Profile for James S. Mellen   Email James S. Mellen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suposedly, the bulb does not have many hours. It failed last Saturday night right after the changeover, so it didn't affect that movie. The igniter kept trying to ignite it. I wasn't there at the time, but will check it out tomorrow. I am thinking it must be the bulb. Is there an easy way to test a bulb?

James S. Mellen
Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2005 02:04 PM      Profile for James S. Mellen   Email James S. Mellen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It did turn out to be the bulb. One end got very hot internally (probably a bad connection inside the bulb). It only had around 60 hours on it.

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2005 02:29 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely a loose connection at the bulb. Doubtfull that the bulb itself was the culprit. I run into this all the time. People sometimes are too afraid to tighten the bulb connections securely. With all that current going through a loose connection, it heats up. If the end was discoloured this is almost always the cause (if all else is working properly).
Thanks for letting us know the outcome, though.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-19-2005 09:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no such thing as bad internal bulb connections
all operator connections are external of the lamp

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: