Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Interactive Cinema puts you in the director's chair.

Author Topic: Interactive Cinema puts you in the director's chair.
Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2005 06:42 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because of the way there page is set up I can't copy and paste the article here so your going to have to go to the link to read it first. It's a good read, touches on Video Games and Movies becoming one, and the on slaught of the industry going digital.

Interactive Cinema

I thought this was a very interesting read...I know that I would love for it to be like I was one of the soldiers in "Saving Private Ryan" storming Omaha Beach...or one of the first Air Cav soldiers in "We Were Soldiers". But I just can't see this being cheap enough so everyone can experience it. It might just be me...What are your guys opinions on this and the other points they touch on.

Kurt

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-12-2005 12:28 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still quite a ways off...
The trouble with "interactive cinema" is that you're talking about getting away from the fundamentals of what cinema is.
Story telling. Seeing the vision someone had in a format they chose for a reason.
Yes, the experience of running around in the middle of a fire fight would be great, but a properly made film can give you just the same enjoyment, and I bet it's a lot easier on the eyes than any dumbass digital device.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-12-2005 02:48 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were some demos of interactive cinema about a decade ago at one of the trade shows (INTERVISION???)

The movie's video scenes were stored on a video disk and controllers at each seat let the audience "decide" where the plot went. I recall even the demos became a "free-for-all" with people jumping seats to get multiple "votes".

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-13-2005 09:42 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At expo67 in montreal the chechz palvillion had a movie that at each point the audience vote with 2 pushbuttons on the seat arms what the protaganist would do and it was tallied on lights down the edge of the screen and the projectionist would start the correct next reel (there were 3 FP20's so he had the running reel on one and the the two possible next reels laced up on the other two)
The moral of the film was no matter how one voted through out the film and all its cjoices the last reel was the same

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: