Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Single Perf Pull down

Author Topic: Single Perf Pull down
David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2005 03:05 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings All from a somewhat damp East Anglian County

I have recently been approached by E.Negus-Fancy Productions Ltd, here in the UK for some post production facilities. The setup involves a couple of Akai Digital dubbers, along with a pair of Kinoton EQ's Whilst this is no mean feat for a Professor of extended age, I hesitated to ask the question why they should wish to produce a film that was shot in 35mm with a single perforation pull down. Whilst I appreciate the cost of film stock here in the UK, what with the Chancellors recent increase in tax on film production, it amazes me why a production should stoop to shoot a film with a single perf frame. The production, which is being digitally graded, is now being scanned back to film on an Arri laser writer.
My issue that I am unable to configure my Kinoton FP30EQ's to pull down at a single frame at a time for the purposes of dailies.

Has anyone in the US been approached with such a request. I only know of one other company in the UK which will provide this facility, and they will not divulge the information necessary to carry out this task.

For information, the aspect ratio of this production is 2.39:1

With warmest contrafibularities

David

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-09-2005 03:15 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] A format like that just doesn't make sense.

The maximum image height with one-perf pulldown would be only 0.1870 inches. So for 2.39:1, we might be talking an image area that has less image area than Super-16. If budget is such an issue, why not use Super-16, which is a well established format worldwide? There are even some anamorphic lenses available if you want to fully utilize the Super-16 image area for 2.39:1.

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2005 03:48 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A format like that just doesn't make sense.
Greetings John
You said:
The maximum image height with one-perf pulldown would be only 0.1870 inches. So for 2.39:1, we might be talking an image area that has less image area than Super-16. If budget is such an issue, why not use Super-16, which is a well established format worldwide? There are even some anamorphic lenses available if you want to fully utilize the Super-16 image area for 2.39:1.

Thank you for the reply. I to do not understand the logic in this either. However, the production is not my problem. My issue is how to project the dailies on this.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 03-09-2005 04:13 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could do a pair of 2.39 3-D frames side by side, but I can't think of any reason why you'd want to.

About the only other reason I can think of would be to get a long running time from a single roll of camera stock, either in a stuation where reloading would be difficult, like the underwater 2-perf shots in 'Titanic', or to get a very long continuous shot, but you could get a simiilar running time with a 1200 foot load of 16mm, and 1200 foot mags are available for some cameras. You could get a much longer running time by shooting digital.

Without knowing what they're trying to do it's difficult to say for sure, but I can't help feeling that there's probably a better way of doing it. This is totally non-standard, and non-standard tends to mean expensive.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you happen to find out that its 2 perf we have bucket fulls of 2 perf Ballantyne parts laying around down in the CLACO Dungeon. We may also have a couple of 2 perf machines still complete....

Mark @ CLACO

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-09-2005 09:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whereas you have FP-30EQ projectors, just about anything is possible.....for a price. 3-perf pull down is a standard option. (and I think that the 16mm mode is equivalent to 2-perf) Call your local Kinoton representative and ask what it would cost to modify the unit for single perf pull down. This would essentially be a custom firmware change and resetting some dip switches on the main board.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: