Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Which Gate is This?

Author Topic: Which Gate is This?
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 07:21 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Below are some pictures of the gate out of my Simplex 1050.I would really like to rebuild it.I have downloaded the Simplex 1050 and Simplex 35 parts manuals but this gate does not appear in either.The "Studio" gates in the manuals are similar to this gate.A part number for the gate would be helpful or if anyone knows a manual that this gate appears in that would be excellent.
[beer]  -
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-08-2005 07:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a temporary design used in 1986-1987ish. I never cared for it, not from a picture steadiness aspect, but because when the splices went through it was C L A A A A A C K K ! ! !

It would also stress the sprockets and cause a film break several frames ahead of a splice made on acetate film stocks after about a month's worth of passes. (The stress point was at the intermittent sprocket as the splice was entering the top of the gate.) With polyester film being used today, it's no longer an issue, but I still have no fond memories of that gate design. I would look to replace it with the standard 3 part studio gate or one of the later curved ones if you plan on running acetate prints on it for any number of passes.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-08-2005 09:34 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with the G-2411 studio gate desighn. This is the three piece gate. Since your trap is already set up for this type of gate. If you went to the curved type you would have to change the trap too. Go to the manuals section and download the parts catalog for simplex both the 97 and 2000 revision have the parts you need listed.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 06:55 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Brad everytime a splice goes through i always look at the equipment from wherever i am in the BIO to check all is OK.I just thought that it was due to not being able to set the Gate-Trap pressure.

Brad/Darryl I don't understand why the three part Studio gate would be a better option.Is it a lot more gentle on the print?

Darryl I will check the manuals as I want to replace the tracks on the trap as they are worn also.Hopefully I may be able to use the main body of this gate and just buy the parts to convert it to a 3 part gate.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-08-2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl,
You're best off to buy all the stuff to convert that into the present gate and runners. You can probably re-use the casting but replace the plate and runners. That is one of the worst ever gate designs... A Strong Tradition..... Personally I ouwld go to an all curved gate. None of the straight gate pressure pads have ever exhibited even wear..... no matter which one you go with.....

Mark @ CLACO

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-08-2005 08:31 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never said it was the best option. But if you look at it from a money standpoint the standard studio gate would be the choice. If money is not an issue then by all means go with the curved gate. The curved gate would be my choice if the money was there to do a complete gate and trap change out. Like Mark said you can probably still use the gate casting.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2005 03:35 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark
Which gate do you mean when you say the "present gate"-is there more than one curved gate setup that would fit? Or do you mean the G2613 Trap and G4318 Gate.
I noticed in 2000 that they changed the mounting bracket for the intermitent shoe so it's adjustable.I'd like to have that on my gate.

[ 03-09-2005, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Ian Bailey ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-09-2005 08:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian,
Any of the curved jobs will work fine. The adjustable shoe isn't really necessary..... the Simplex was around for 50 years before they brought that idea to be. Just amounts to more parts to fall off the gate/trap assy over time..... but if replacing those parts on occasion means better job security then go for it. We have an occasional supplier that loves the straight gates and he gladly traded us 8 curved gates/traps for 8 straight on a job a year or so ago..... We just love this guy!

Mark

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2005 02:50 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings All from a very windswept Cambridge

This gate reminds me of a similar contraption that I once encountered in Nepal. The machine was a Pro-Vista MKII, which I believe was a direct copy of a Simplex, much akin to a Monee/Century analog. I found to my dismay that there was excessive weave on said machine, and there was no way of preventing this due to the absence of lateral guide rollers. I managed to cure the issue with the careful manipulation of a pair of tassles from a local Tibetan Monks habit, who origianlly supplied the machine. This was in 1989. I believe, since then that metal guide rollers have been installed on said machine. Does anyone have any experience in adapting one of these mechanisms to counter this issue? If so, in Tibet, where would one find a local dealer in these projectors such that the appropriate parts may be installed correctly?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: