Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS problem - Heffalump, Be Cool, Pacifier

Author Topic: DTS problem - Heffalump, Be Cool, Pacifier
Tony Monje
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 08:41 PM      Profile for Tony Monje   Email Tony Monje   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a problem with Pooh's Heffalump movie going out of DTS as soon as the film started. I talked with my repair guy, my booker, and then to Technicolor, who promptly sent me out a new DTS disk. It did not fix the problem. I figured our almost 3 year old DTS 6 AD unit was about to cost us more money in repairs. This last weekend we opened The Pacifier and Be Cool. They would have previews which worked in DTS, but as soon as the film started, it would go out of DTS. I finally just called DTS directly and they asked me to check the firmware version on my DTS units. It read 2.01. Aha! We should be running 2.06. DTS said they passed the information onto the studios, but it never trickled down to me. Apparently Technicolor and my booker was unaware of this also. If anyone is experiencing this problem, they can call DTS directly at 1-800-959-4109, and ask for their tech department. They will send out a CD with a firmware upgrade. Unless projectionists are monitoring their projector carefully when the film starts, this can easily be overlooked, and the whole benefit of having DTS is wasted.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Greenwell
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 01:13 AM      Profile for Chris Greenwell   Email Chris Greenwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had similiar problems with my dts units, first it was Pooh, then the pacifier...So now I know it wasnt just a problem with any one print..I will have to check out what firmware I have and hopefully be able to upgrade it..

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 02:27 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This explains why a projectionist from another location called me asking if I had any problems with those movies. Mine were running no problem and were staying in DTS as expected, so I guess my units are running in 2.06.

I did however, have to install some new drives on a few units, which was fun. Instead of a CD rom drive, the upgrade kit consisted of a DVD rom drive and an upgrade rom chip I had to install on one of the PCI-style cards. Seems to work great from my tests.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2005 07:30 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this explains the troubles I am having with be cool , it will not run in DTS , discs look ok , the reader is working but it will not run in DTS , Miss Cong 2 this will not run in Dts this is the same in 2 cinemas , surely both dts 6 ad cannot be faulty at the same time ?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-24-2005 10:09 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had this problem with be cool on an older unit. I upgraded everything including two boards and firmware chip. Problem solved.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2005 12:35 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
R6 of one of our Miss Congeniality's had bad timecode, rendering no reading of the discs. I swapped it with our other print (in SRD at the time) to see if it'll help. I'll report back soon.

AJG

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: