Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Be Cool - Odd damage to Reel 1

Author Topic: Be Cool - Odd damage to Reel 1
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 02:01 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Running Be Cool on Friday I had to build up fairly quickly before the first show. (Why I didn't do it Thursday is a different story). I built it on 2 6000's. Reel 1 came heads up and I rewound it before loading it onto the 6000. I started loading the film on the platter (LP-270) and I think I held too much tension on the 6000 because when I picked it up to move (yeah, I know..a nono) to it's respective screen, it was extremely tight.

When I got it on the respective platter, I took the ring out and an enourmus bulge came out. I adjusted the film so it wouldn't hit the brain during payout and threaded up.

the 1'st show went okay. As I threaded up for the second, I noticed that laying on the platter, Reel 1 had this strange texture to it. If I ran my hand over the side, it felt like what you get if you rub crayon off a piece of paper. Like waxy. I ran it today and really notived that the reel was horribly splattered with nicks and scratches and digs.

Any Ideas? If you need more info, ask for it and I'll try to give it.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-06-2005 02:12 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using the old thin metal rings with the three knobs on them. They are probably out of round so it caused the bulge in the movie. Speco has a new ring that is similar to the rings that christie uses except they ar a bit smaller. See if you can get you some of these new rings. I believe they are about $65 a piece.

I don't know what could have happened to reel one. You say you dudn't see any problems on the first run but then on the second? Could have been something that corrected it's self at reel change.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 03:11 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with the above.
Forget buying new speco rings, drill out the holes and use Christies!

What sort of scratches are they? Description? Photo?
I'm sure someone can figure it out.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-06-2005 07:14 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that reel had the edges get badly scuffed, perhaps when being wound with some misalignment under excessive tension. This could also generate dirt and debris.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-06-2005 03:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Forget buying new speco rings, drill out the holes and use Christies!

I disagree with that....The new speco rings are made exactly like the Christie rings just a bit smaller. Drilling out new holes for larger ring may cause the film to not go on correctly causing an uneven turn on the rotation of the film.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 11:18 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this always happened to me when I was in too much of a hurry, slow it down a bit. Is this a problem with any other prints you've had?

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 09:52 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Dean, and the funny thing is that it didn't happen to the attatched trailer, just the film, right after the lab splice.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 10:12 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could the film have jumped after the splice?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: