Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » light vertical scratches on right side of image

Author Topic: light vertical scratches on right side of image
Alex Rolfe
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2005 03:16 PM      Profile for Alex Rolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Rolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that a lot of the prints we play (sub-run and rep) have thin, black, vertical scratches along the right edge of the on screen image, even when the print is otherwise in excellent condition. I suspect it's some common platter problem since
- the scratches are generally consistent across reels and we run changeovers (unless we have same problem on both projectors)
- it's not on all our prints

Ideas about the likely source of these scratches?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-05-2005 03:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a small thread on this earlier, but what this side scratching is caused by the "shouldered" rollers on the pad roller assembly for the middle constant speed sprocket assembly as the film leaves the intermittent.

There are some projectors that have these rollers, and it's the front roller facing the loop as it comes out of the intermittent which has the inner "shoulders" on the roller that is rubbing against the base side of the film on both sides, causing these lines that you mentioned.

-Monte

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-05-2005 06:11 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use the Magic Answer Machine (AKA Forum Search Tool) to find DOZENS of scratch related topics, including this one .

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: