Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » MGM- Are all prints now cyan? Apparently not!

Author Topic: MGM- Are all prints now cyan? Apparently not!
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2005 08:17 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting occurrence. I received two prints of MGM's Be Cool. The first one I put together was cyan, but I was somewhat startled to see the second one was Hi Mag.

My thinking here was that MGM was now releasing in cyan. Did the buyout by Sony have a bearing on this anomaly?

Can anyone shed some more light on this topic?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-04-2005 11:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my understanding international shipments (when the prints are finished playing in the US) need magenta tracks, but most US prints are cyan. The regular label on the cans represent cyan, but the silver label represents a conventional track.

I don't know how much longer the conventional tracks will be made, but apparently it will continue for at least a little while.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-05-2005 03:17 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On one of my prints reel 5 was not cyan.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2005 07:23 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

You are the man of the hour! You have the first test case for comparing the two sound tracks, Cyan and Silver.

Please describe for us the instant differences in the "sound" in your auditorium when the change from reel 4 to reel 5 occurs.

We all want to know what difference can be observed in this dramatic comparison. Can you really hear more distortion from the Silver track? Is there a level change? That sort of information would be very interesting.

Thanks. (As he heads to the auditorium with notebook in hand!)

KEN

[ 03-09-2005, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: Kenneth Wuepper ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2005 10:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,
Shouldn't you really ask Joe to do this "special comparison" since he's not there..... [Wink] . He'd be the one to ask ya know......

MArk

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-06-2005 07:38 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be they are hedging their bets with a small percentage of applicated tracks that will be culled after US release, and used for overseas release into the few underdeveloped countries that are still way behind on converting to red readers.

Dominic Case
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 10:11 PM      Profile for Dominic Case   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
We all want to know what difference can be observed in this dramatic comparison. Can you rally hear more distortion from the Silver track?
Not really as useful a comparison as you might think. The silver track would be a high magenta track, which was designed as a compromise solution - less distortion than a "deep blue" silver track on red readers, more level than a cyan track on red readers. There won't be much difference.

My fear is that now that most distributors have switched at least to high magenta, the pressure is off (as the high magenta track resolves the distortion problem of blue on red readers), and they aren't so anxious to push the last step in the change - to cyan. Bad result all round if that is the case.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: