Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How Hot Should Lenses Get?

Author Topic: How Hot Should Lenses Get?
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2005 05:31 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After recently "cooking" a scope backing lens(which was secondhand and not sure really what condition it was in internally-apart from no obvious scratches etc)I am very conscious now whenever I adjust a Xenon.But I am still unsure how warm a lens should get with a "perfectly" adjusted lamphouse.
I am a bit confused as my three projector/lamphouses all seem to act a bit differently.
CINEMA 1:Simplex 1050/TU2000 turret/SuperLume-x/Ushio Xenon
Great light on the screen,lenses almost cool to touch after running for hours.
CINEMA 2:Simplex1050/TU2000 turret/Super Lume-X/Osram Xenon
Good light on the screen,lenses warm to touch but very sensitive to Xenon adjustment.This was where I cooked the lens!
CINEMA 3:Simplex PR1014/Kelmar Turret,Gate,Trap/Lume-X/Osram Xenon
Poor light on the screen.Lenses get quite hot if Xenon is adjusted for maximum light on the screen and are warm if Xenon is defocussed.This cinema would have the warmest lenses usually.

|  IP: Logged

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2005 06:16 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you use any kind of heat filtering in the lamp house?

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian, just wondering if you use a meter to adjust the lamps. Also, with any of the lamphouses, are there any hot spots or is the light pretty flat.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2005 02:21 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
No There is no heat filtering
Richard
Not sure what you mean about using a meter to adjust the lamps.
Cin 1 has very nice even light.
Cin 2 good spread of light getting a bit darker in the corners of the screen.No hot spots(anymore!)
Cin 3 poor light if you want to keep the lenses from getting too warm.But does produce a hot spot if you try and focus the xenon for a brighter screen.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-05-2005 02:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again Ian -

I have always used a rule of thumb on how hot the lenses can get: If one holds the film between thumb and index finger over the lower loop as its coming out of the gate with machine running. If it feels slightly lukewarm then the mirror focus is just about right to the aperture opening. A bit more warmer then the film is getting a bit too overcooked by too much focus of the mirror. One would do this trick on dark scenes for the light being absorbed by the dark emulsion.

Also, another trick one can use is to make a loop of solid black film (or black leader from trailer ends) that would go from inside the machine to completely around the front of the machine-from upper guide roller to the bottom guide roller.

Run the loop with a mark to call the beginning of the loop with the lamp on and dowser open. The film reentering the machine after a good dozen passes should have cooled down by the time that mark reenters the aperture opening, and if it's remains warm then after the dozen passes, then there is too much light (mirror too close to aperture opening) due to a tight focus of the light beam on the film itself.

Lenses are built to take some heat whether what wattage of the bulb.

The trick is the bulb focus from mirror to aperture opening that has to be of a proper distance.

Hope this helps.

Good luck once again. - Monte

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2005 07:55 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Ian, How are you measuring the light on the screen? Do you do it by eye? If so, it's possible that you are making it to bright. I do it by eye first and then check it with the light meter. I'm surprised at how many times I think it's right by eye only to check it and find that I'm 5 or 6 FL to high.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-05-2005 12:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the lumex have the spread lens in the front without it it produces a cone of light for 16mm and it would overheat lens and produce uneven light

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2005 12:48 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte
Do you mean the factory recommended distance between the Back of the mirror to the aperture plate when you say "Mirror too close to aperture opening"?
Richard
I do not have a light meter so I could be making it too bright-I adjust it till i get the best light without a hot spot.
Gordon
Yes the Lume-x does have the negative lens but it is cracked so i could assume some of the light would not be directed to where it should be. I haven't thought that that could be the cause of the lenses being a bit too warm when I try to get more light on the screen.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-05-2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again Ian - Easiest way see if bulb is in proper focus to the aperture, is to have the lamp on with the lens in place. Open the dowser and have the bare light on the screen with the motor running. Draw the mirror focus in until you have a "hot spot" on the screen. Then, draw the mirror focus out to get rid of the "hot spot" until you have an even field of light on the screen. This should be the correct amount of light and at the same, the correct film temperature for the warmth test that I mentioned to you earlier.

thx-Monte

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 03-06-2005 07:26 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another test of excessive radiant energy is to remove the lens (so it doesn't get damaged during this test) and run a loop of film with dark images through the projector WITHOUT the shutter running. If you can run the loop at least several hundred times without any visible heat damage, you know that you have a "safety factor" of at least two, since a two blade shutter normally reduces the radiant energy by a factor of two. If you have a bad "hot spot", you will see the damage on each frame.:

Heat Damage Article Part 1

Heat Damage Article Part 2

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2005 06:47 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the Tips John/Monte I will try them next chance I get.

Monte
That is exactly how I adjust the xenons now.
When I first saw the Alignatron I thought this is my answer but when i inspected the mirrors in the lamphouses I found that the hole at the back to be very uneven so i could not see how i could use one accurately enough.The mirrors must be remanufactured from damaged ones.Getting a string alignment kit from Strong(or even getting them to answer an email) seems harder than EATING IDAHO.
The next thing i will check is the distance between the back of the mirror to the aperture plate as I doubt whether this has ever been checked.
To be able to accurately align all this gear would I'm sure cure a lot of problems.

[ 03-07-2005, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: Ian Bailey ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: