Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Protecting xenon bulbs in power failure (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Protecting xenon bulbs in power failure
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-28-2005 07:59 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I am a worrywart, but I sit and look at the 4500w lamphouses and picture a power failure in the middle of a show where we loose AC. The fans stop. The bulbs explode. Do you guys have any kind of failsafe for such an eventuality? I am thinking some kind of UPS for an auxiliary fan in the lamphouse. I know this probably doesn't come up much, but power failures do occur -- it's not like New York hasn't had a few. I mean, what happened in all the theatres during our last black out? Power failed in the afternoon when every booth in the city was running. Did bulbs explode from overheating when the fans stopped?

Or am I being paranoid? Thing is, in our park venue, it's a portable system. That's a more risky setup than permanent installations. I've taken to tapeing over the booth breakers so stagehands who need to switch circuits on and off pretty routinely in that same panel don't accidently throw the rectifier circuits.

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 02-28-2005 09:12 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's a problem. I've worked many places where the power to the lamps were just cut at the end of the night; that is, the lamp and fan were wired this way. No one should wire a place like that, but since I've seen it done routinely for years I don't think the rare power failure will effect the bulbs.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't worry about the bulb more so than the possibility that the power does not return in full phase. I have seen this happen and I have to start running turning things off before 3 phase equipment starts burning up.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 02-28-2005 09:58 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll let the lamp manufacturers answer definitively, but a few hot shutdowns due to power failure are unlikely to significantly increase the risk of lamp explosion. However, a regular practice of not letting the lamphouse cool properly should be avoided.

I agree that you want to be sure the power supply is correct and unlikely to fail again before you restart. I would hope that after any line work, the power company would endeavor to energize all three phases at the same time. [Eek!]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 12:11 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had two or three power failures in the seven months I've been at our ten-plex and all 10 machines shut down including the 4500w lamps and fans. It has had no visible adverse affect on the lamps.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-28-2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool.....I mean HOT. [Big Grin]

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would there be any adverse effects? (From a pure temperature/fan related standpoint.) I mean, if the power to the bulb and fan are cut at the same time, it's not getting any hotter in the lamphouse. In fact, it seems the more gradual cooldown with no fan might even be better for the bulb. That's why I never understood things such as overheads or slide projectors that keep a fan running after the bulb's been shut down. Why is it necessary to cool the bulb if it no longer generates heat? Perhaps, in the case of slide projectors, it would be useful for faster storage of the machine.

Also, my theatre is on the worst possible power connection for a theatre. High winds, a distant t-storm, or even heavy rains can cause brownouts or blackouts as often as once a week during the summer months. It just takes a lot of monitoring the booth, especially the takeup platters. However, as ofter as we have electrical problems, I've never heard of a bulb exploding around here.

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 01:11 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd imagine the continuous cooling is better than air just standing in the lamp house since the lamps are so hot.

In power failures my biggest worry is getting everything back online fast for the next set if we're out that long.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2005 01:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, bulbs DO need the fan to help cool down, since bulbs cannot dissapate the heat like a vacuum bulb can. One of the only fears would be if a sudden rush of cold air hits those hot bulbs, then a good explosion could exist.

I've seen theatres immediately turn the console power off when closing after the show is over with. I jumped on these personnel hard and tell them that the bulb needs to be cooled down before turing off the console power.

I've had power drop off when running 6k bulbs with no effect when the power came back on.

-Monte

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 04:50 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most theatres I've worked at have a relay installed in the console that keeps the exhaust fans running for approx. 10-15 minutes after the power to the console is cut.

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-28-2005 04:56 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our exhaust fans are all BMS controlled, they start automatically when the power to a machine is switched on in the morning and run for 30 minutes after power shut down, it is company policy to let the lamp houses cool for at least 15 minutes before tuning the power off.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-28-2005 05:43 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
I would hope that after any line work, the power company would endeavor to energize all three phases at the same time.

I have had the power lose a phase on a cople occasions while working at different theatres. I think both were caused by accidents involving telephone poles. Half the lights would be on in the building we would have to run and shut down anything 3phase and shut down air conditioners before things burnt out on them.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-28-2005 09:15 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jarryd Beard
In fact, it seems the more gradual cooldown with no fan might even be better for the bulb.
I have to agree with Jarryd on this one. I think a gradual cool down is better for a lamp in the long run.

When the lamp is LIT... Yes! Keep the fan(s) ON! I have seen, first hand, what lack off air flow can do to a xenon lamp! There is no doubt in my mind.

On the other hand, cool down after the lamp is out should be gradual as possible. In fact, I read a research report from a guy who ran an AV department at a college that said just that. Leave the fan OFF when you shut off the lamp. Basically, thermal expansion and contraction takes its toll faster if the lamp is force cooled. Letting it cool naturally lets the lamps last longer.

Caveats:

1) These results were for halogen lamps with filiaments. Allowing lamps to cool slowly allows tungsten to redeposit on the filiament instead of coating the surface of the glass. Xenon lamps, having no filiament, are not subject to this problem.

2) The projectors could NOT be moved during the cooling period. Moving a projector with a hot lamp markedly increases the chance of lamp failure because the hot filiament is being jostled around.

In my booth, I split the difference. I shut off the forced cooling fan inside the lamphouse but I leave the roof exhaust turned on. Thus, my theory is that the lamp cools slower than it would under forced air but there is some air to cool the lamp.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy's post made me think of this (possibly stupid) question. If the lamp power is cut and the fans are cut, does the bulb actually get hotter or does it just cool more gradually from the temp it was at when the power was cut?

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2005 07:26 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me, the bulb couldn't get any hotter. I mean, there's no more electricity. Our fans run as soon as power is supplied to the rectifier. We use the actual breakers to power up/shutdown. As soon as the rectifier breakers are hit, the fans are on. The roof exhausts are controlled by separate circuits, of course. I don't see the necessity for the lamphouse fans to be on constantly. It just seems to ensure a constantly noisy booth, even before projectors are running.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: