Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS drive won't eject (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS drive won't eject
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2005 01:56 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS 6D unit. The "C" drive will not eject when I push the button. I can open the little door and watch and it looks like it starts to come out, moves about 1/8" and stops, sits there for a second and moves back to the "in" position.
Suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-27-2005 02:10 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have a disc in it or is it an empty tray?
If it has a disc in it can you tell if the disc has moved out of it's holding tray.
If no disc have you tried turning the power off when it slightly opens and tried to pull the tray out with your hand.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2005 02:45 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got this unit a while back and never had the ocassion to mess with the "C" drive so I don't know if there's one in there or not. Could be.
I'll try the power off trick
Thanks

Edit....a while later.....

Power off trick did not work. Can't see a disk in there but it's rather hard to see

[ 02-27-2005, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Greg Mueller ]

Chase Hanson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2005 03:55 PM      Profile for Chase Hanson   Email Chase Hanson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should have a manual eject mechanism. This is most likely expressed by the presence of a small pin hole near the tray door. Insert an unfolded paperclip, push and it should eject the tray.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-27-2005 04:04 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
for some reason not all drive had this release button. If yours does give it a try. There may be a problem with the mechanism jamming or something.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2005 04:19 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a little dinky hole on the front and I did slide an unfolded paper clip into it, but I could not feel any kind of (anything) to push against on any of the 3 drives. I can get ahold of the tray part with miniature needle nose pliers. I tried the power off trick and got ahold of the tray, but could not slide it out. It's like it's hitting against something. I guess I'll have to open it up

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-27-2005 04:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Mueller
I guess I'll have to open it up

....while you have the top off, grab the compressor and blow out the innards of the case, the power supply, and the boards.

Then do a visual on the long card that is the closest to the drives, look at the chip, which is about in the lower center, that has the version number (v.1.22 for example) and if the number is lower than the current version of V.1.46, it's time for the upgrade kit from DTS. The kit involves the drives, the AQRM card and the SCSI controller card. There are included instuctions to do this upgrade.

good luck - Monte

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2005 07:33 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well this drive is FUBAR.
It's a TEAC CD-516S. Anyone know if they are still available new? If not, is there a substitute that will work?

I checked the rom version and it was way back at V1.37. Luckily I had a V1.46 chip from a previous encounter, so I stuck that in.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-27-2005 07:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Mueller
It's a TEAC CD-516S. Anyone know if they are still available new? If not, is there a substitute that will work?

Well, since SCSI CDRom drives are a hundred bucks a pop new, one can find used SCSI drives on eBone for about next to nothing.

I bought 16 of these SCSI drives on eBone for 2 bucks a piece (these are APPLE 6x to 8x SCSI drives) and they work great with the newer 6D units with the V.1.47 upgrade.

Set the jumper settings that the should be on the back of the each of the newer drives, and you'll be back in business.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was able to find one on Ebay as well although it was a CD532S. The unit has been for almost a year since with no problems.

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2005 09:56 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
For what its worth, my computer has done the same a few times, and this trick worked: power off completely, and then turn it on again - while the system is busy rebooting (but before reboot is complete), the drive will agree to open. What you do thereafter is up to you - check the disk for defects, for one thing. Or simply try again - if you got it out once successfully, trying again won't hurt.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-27-2005 10:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it has a door it is a toshiba 2x drive the teacs have a tray that sildes out with no openable door
the 6d was never sold with a caddy based drive

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-27-2005 11:21 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the drive out, it's the Teac CD-516S. It does have a little door that flips down and the tray slides out. No caddy. Black face

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-28-2005 02:00 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theoretically, any SCSI-2 could and should work. But DTS now also offer single drive replacement kits which include a IDE-to-SCSI-adapter board, so you can use standard IDE drives as well. Check with your favorite dealer for details and pricing.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-28-2005 05:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS replaced that with the Teac CD-532S drives. I have a couple of spares here, new.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: