Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Marks on film shown in Behind The Scenes ET 20th Anniv Documentary DVD

Author Topic: Marks on film shown in Behind The Scenes ET 20th Anniv Documentary DVD
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-25-2005 11:23 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this belongs here or in the After Life, but I'm guessing here.

On the ET DVD, there is an extra that is basically a behind the scenes documentary about the 20th Anniversary Screening at the Shrine Auditorium. In that documentary, they show the two projectors set up with the film running on towers. As the film's running, you can see what looks like silver or white marks on the film about every five feet - I believe on the soundtrack side. They kinda look like marks from one of those crappy assed silver paint pens that exploded, but I doubt Spielberg would allow one of those pens near his film.

Anyone else notice it or have any insight into what those marks could be? Or am I seeing things?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-25-2005 11:31 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the DVD, but they could be "machine edge numbers" which are usually added to workprints in order to make it easier to sync them with 35mm sepmag tracks (which would have identical machine edge numbers).

I can't really imagine why they would be used on a release print, unless perhaps it was a double-system show. [Confused]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-25-2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting because this was the show that had John Williams conducting a live orchestra to provide the score while the film played. The projection booth only played the dialog and effects stems from the soundtrack. So they would have had to keep John in sync with the action. They also had two projectors running simultaneously in case one died, they could fail over to the other... and they no doubt needed to be kept in sync.

Given the amount of work they put into it, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a double system show on top of everything else.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 02-25-2005 04:26 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
those crappy assed silver paint pens that exploded
Exploding paint pens?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 02-25-2005 05:43 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably edge code numbers made by an Acmade machine; its printing ribbons always reminded me of the correction ribbons used on some typewriters.

-

Acmade Codemaster

-

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 02-25-2005 09:40 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
Exploding paint pens?
Yep.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-27-2005 10:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately Acmade edge numbers!! They are there in case the film might have to be repaired, rolled back, or started at a certain point....... They may have looked that way because the CCD in the TV camera was too slow to resolve it and turned it into a digital artifact....

Mark

Larry Shaw
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2005 06:12 PM      Profile for Larry Shaw   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Shaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BL&S did that show, it had multi mag followers and lock to various video systems, thus the footage numbers as a backup sync restoration aid.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: