Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP200 Split surround (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP200 Split surround
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2005 09:10 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a CP200 that is being hooked up to a DTS unit. We purchased the upgrade cards we were told we would need to add split surround. I have to get this wired up before the tech comes out to do the EQ. My question is, where do the two surround channels hook up to the CP200? Do they use the P and Q terminals or do they use something else? The manual says that P and Q are for left and right rear surround but its still unclear to me.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-19-2005 09:23 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
P and Q are it. Btw, why can't your tech wire it? That must be a cushy job... just go around EQ'ing things!

[Wink] [Big Grin]

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2005 09:57 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't actually have a tech, we just hire one to come out when we need something done. I work for a small 2 theatre company. The tech time is money. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-20-2005 04:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't need to buy the upgrade cards to run DTS. Yes they will offer better performance, but you didn't NEED to do it. DTS will run fine and dandy on the "stock" cards. It is SRD that requires it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-20-2005 08:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
You didn't need to buy the upgrade cards to run DTS.
Well, installing new 517 cards makes a HUGE difference in sound quality on the 200, makes it sound like a CP-65. You will notice the most difference on the high end frequency response and they also have more headroom in the VCA's. I once did level and distortion measurements of the new vs the old card. The difference is not small! The 517's really should be installed for and or all digital formats because of their higher headroom. Other cards are not as critical as they operate at or near unity gain. You can run with the old 117's in there but the sould quality will suffer.... won't be any better than an older CP-50....

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-20-2005 09:26 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the single most important upgrade card is the cat 560 that will allow the dts sub to pass through a fader and eq

Depending how your Aux rack is configured the P and Q terminals are used
If yu use the parametric eq on the 560 then there are some jumpers needed
The upgrade is best explained in the DA20 manual just sub the DTS for the DA20

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-20-2005 10:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed Gord! I was just refering to my bench testing of the 117 vs the 517 card.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-20-2005 03:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, yes I agree the audible difference is worth the cash to you and me, but if the theater is hurting so much for cash that they have to have John do all of the wiring, odds are the sound system isn't anything phenomenal. (That's not saying it is a bad system, but from the sound of things the theater doesn't have the funds to put in a full blown mega system of sorts.) With that in mind, no the 517s aren't THAT important. [Wink]

quote: John Westlund
We purchased the upgrade cards we were told we would need to add split surround.
That's the comment that prompted me to post on this. From the sound of it his dealer told him he HAD to buy them. Not so. Split surround can be had without them.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-20-2005 04:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No but the 560 is as it is film done wrong not to have the sub level controled by the main fader

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2005 11:24 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the dealer told the owner when she ordered, I just had all these parts that I had to put together [Smile] As far as the sound system is concerned, its a CP200 (upgraded now thanks to help from this thread), DTS 6D, 2 QSC 1400's, 1 QSC 1500a, and 1 QSC MX1500a. As far as the speakers they are 3 JBL 4675c stage speakers, 1 JBL 4642a dual 18" sub, and EV surround speakers.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-21-2005 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually that a fairly high end sould system! Down the road be sure to replace those 117's with 517's. You will hear a major improvement especially on the high end response.

Mark

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2005 01:30 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Replaced the 117's with 517's yesterday [thumbsup]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2005 01:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
(John I'm not picking on you. I'm picking on Mark because it's so fun!)

quote:
Actually that a fairly high end sould system!
Mark, while we will agree the stage speakers are great, they are not bi-amped. Also mixing and matching JBL stage w/EV surrounds is not what I call a smart idea. Plus we have no idea what his acoustics are like.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-21-2005 02:22 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No offense taken Brad [Big Grin] The EV surround speakers were there when the new owner bought the place. Bi-amping the system and changing out the surround speakers just aren't in the budget at this time. The stage speakers that were in the building when the new owner bought it were horrible, one of them didn't even have a speaker in it. The new JBL's will be here on tuesday.

Rich Ferrando
Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2005 11:06 PM      Profile for Rich Ferrando   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the same subject with this topic- our CP200 was upgraded for compatibility with our DA20 some time ago, and for some time I've been trying to trace down the source of some issues we've been having, only to be run up one dead-end after another.

One of the big ones is that we're not getting any subwoofer signal. The sub works (tapped the leads with a 9-volt battery, got a healthy thump), all of the solder connections are correct, the connections to the amp are correct, and the amp is working properly. But I don't even get a signal on sub's green light on the Cat 560.

Just for whatever's sake- the amps are QSC 1400's, and the sub is an EV.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: