Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where do you find new splicer blades?

Author Topic: Where do you find new splicer blades?
Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 10:46 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a used splicer, but the blades won't cut worth a damn. Anyone know where I can get new ones? It's a 35mm NeuTaper Model # 35-SS-2T Guillotine Film Splicer.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-18-2005 10:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Just about any dealer. Where do you buy your splicing tape? They'll have it.

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 10:54 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or get a plain vanilla knife sharpener from the supermarket. Works well on splicer blades.

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 10:56 PM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the quick reply, Brad... but that poses a new question. Where do I get my tape? I've never dealt with film before, and the splicer came with a dozen rolls of tape, so where should I turn to buy new splicer supplies? Surely not the manufacturer. Do you go through a dealer? I beg forgiveness for my noobness.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-18-2005 11:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you buy your splicer?

Peter Mork
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 11:07 PM      Profile for Peter Mork   Email Peter Mork   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Zen Master speaks...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-19-2005 03:15 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.getgts.com

and Mark's site .. www.clacoequipment.com

these are links for booth materials.

The blades you need are the NT-6B blades for the Neutaper, which are about 5 bucks apiece.

When you take that thing apart to install the new blades, just make sure that the punch assembly is replaced the same as it comes off - facing in the same direction. Otherwise, the "die" assembly will not match up to the "punch assembly", and will jam. Also, when putting on new blades, the blades will have to be aligned up to cut straight and at the edge of the film. Those 4 philips screws-two on each holder is how the blades are adjusted to the edge of the "die" assembly.

Get it right and that Neutaper can cut and punch very smooth with each splice made.

(also, a little something that a lot don't know is that: order another tape roll holder assembly and two of the mounting screws, and this other assembly can be mounted in front of the Neutaper so one can have a double roll dispensed splicer - one from the front and one from the back)

-Monte

Dan Chilton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2005 09:39 AM      Profile for Dan Chilton   Author's Homepage   Email Dan Chilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Monte!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-19-2005 09:41 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't just order two blades. Order four if you can.
Install two of them into the splicer then store the others away where you'll know where they are.

My blades came in one of those little miniature "Zip-Lock" baggies that small projector parts are often shipped in. I zipped them up in the bag then wrapped them into a small package. Then I opened the bottom compartment of the splicer and stuck in the packet of blades.

Neumade splicer blades can last a pretty long time if taken care of properly. Keep the splicer aligned and don't let anybody "slam" it like a stapler. Keep it clean. Most of all DON'T let anybody leave it setting on a platter! It WILL get spun off and fall on the floor! Dropping splicers on the floor is how most of the damage is done to them!

Anyway, with those spare blades hidden in the bottom compartment, it'll be a long time before you have to order more. (Assuming the splicer is well cared for.) The extra few $$ spent now will be appreciated later if you ever need new blades in a pinch.

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2005 10:58 AM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you can order parts and tape directly from Neumade. You may get a slightly better price from a dealer though.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 02-19-2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Copied from thread ALright, which is now closed! No teaser titles, as the others said you should have just put it in the related thread where it now is.

Dan Chilton
Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2005 09:38 AM CT (US) (10:38 AM Local) Thanks Monte! The splicer is already set up to to hold two tape rolls, which is a nice feature. I'll check those sites out.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-19-2005 12:26 PM CT (US) (1:26 PM Local) This belongs under splicer blades not a new topic

Monte L Fullmer
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-19-2005 12:38 PM CT (US) (1:38 PM Local) You're welcome on this info and always glad to help.

True, what Gord says - should have kept this in that previous topic heading.

Be wise to go back to your first note, goto edit and rename the topic header as "Neumade splicer questions", or something to that effect, so there will be more of a definite title than this "teaser" header (..a small warning to you..)for having definite topic headers are more easier to find in a reference database than this one posted.

For the one posted as a teaser has no direction on where to do pertaining to what involves the motion picture world.

..little tip and help for you.

Also, goto the "Manuals" tab on the left side, scroll down to "Misc", then you'll see a listing in PDF form for the Neumade splicers. In this, will be the 35SS "blown apart" of the parts listing if you need anymore parts for the Neumade.

Good luck with your rebuild of the 35MM SS

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: