Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » GWTW @ Loews Jersey - Mitchell Dvoskin ? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: GWTW @ Loews Jersey - Mitchell Dvoskin ?
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 02:19 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just read that the Loews Jersey will be running Gone With The Wind on March 6.

Mitchell Dvoskin: are you running this one?

Be aware that the last (recent-ish) release was good looking IB, but it was printed anamorphically 1.37 in the scope frame. In other words, it requires a scope lens.

The big caution is for proscenium theaters (like the Loews Jersey). If you're not running common height, but instead running scope pictures all the way side-to-side & 1.37 all the way top-to-bottom, the picture will be just a reduced chunk in the middle of the screen - a piece out of the middle of the scope picture.

I got surprised by that print a while back, management squawked on the radio & RAN up to the booth when they saw a reel run before the house opened, & afterwards said they were absolutely embarassed & upset to have shown that little picture to a paying audience that came out to see GWTW "on the big screen".

Unless you're running common height anyway for scope & academy, check & be sure which print you're getting. If it's the scope print, it's pretty, but get a shorter prime for the anamorphic(s) to get the height to your usual 1.37 vertical height.

I wish I'd known beforehand!

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2005 03:13 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Hooper
Be aware that the last (recent-ish) release was good looking IB, but it was printed anamorphically 1.37 in the scope frame. In other words, it requires a scope lens.

I believe that a small number of 'proper' Academy prints were also made for this release. I have no idea what print the Loew's will be using for this show. The Academy picture there is large, both top and side masking move. I don't know the actual picture size, no doubt Mitchell can tell us. A fair proportion of the films they run there are Academy ratio, and the picture looks good. I hope they do not have to use an anamorphic print, which would not be ideal.

I am hoping to be there, but there is a problem at work; I would have to fly back overnight on the Sunday, 8 something Monday morning into Gatwick, and there is something happeing at work at Monday that I am supposed to be at. I'm trying to get released from it at the moment, but it might be difficult. The alternative is to drink lots of strong black coffee, and try to stay awake through it. Anybody else going to be there?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-18-2005 04:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Hooper

I ran that release of GWTW in 1998 at Edwards, and yes it was the anamorphic (1.37/1) printing, but have to beware with using the digital sound formats with this print:

Being the IB as it was, all of the soundtracks were the silver soundtracks being printed on that black and white positive stock (I forget the name of that transfer dye stock)-not the magenta, nor the cyan tracks as we have now.

All of the digital formats had a hard time in being picked up by the red LED system. If one has the old exciter lamp system, then at least, optical would be no problem.

DTS had a hard time reading the timecode-would bounce between digital and optical. SRD would have massive failure rates and bounce between the two systems processes as well. And the SDDS was flopping between digital and mono-being this process bypasses the other processors and heads straight to the amplifiers.

We had to finally "force" the CP-500's to read the "01" format (mono) and crank up the sound for proper volume.

Granted, it was great to see this famous film back on the big screen, yet why the anamorphic process, whereas they could have shrunk it down in a 1.85/1 framebox as Warners did with "the Wizard of Oz" later on that year-which looked GREAT on a big screen.

Outside of the sound problems, the only real gimp,presentationwise of this release, was the first reel and a couple of other reels, in which I can't remember the reel numbers.

The original nitrate 3-strip negatives had shrunk a tad causing the three color blurs around the characters and some scenery. Then after this blur, very sharp picture,esp the aftermath of Atlanta was in order.

Just words of warning if this release, which was from New Line, emerged again to certain theatres.

-Monte

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2005 04:40 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
DTS had a hard time reading the timecode-would bounce between digital and optical.
I'm surprised that you would have any problems reading a silver DTS track; the silver should block the red light quite effectively, and the bit-rate is so low, that it ought to be difficult to mis-read a track.

I don't know if the Loew's has converted to red readers; they hadn't two years ago when I was last in the box there. Since they don't normally run new films the cyan track issue should affect them, so for as long as they can get exciter lamps, there's no real reason to convert.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-18-2005 04:51 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
I'm surprised that you would have any problems reading a silver DTS track; the silver should block the red light quite effectively...
...and I do fully agree with you, for we also had a IB print of "Family Man" with Nick Cage, and this print was also a IB print that had a good silver soundtrack area where we had no problems with any of the digital reads. (what was funny though that my other operators have never seen a IB print, let along the silver soundtrack areas...they thought something was wrong with this print and they wanted me to call up for a replacement print. I just about shot one operator who was thinking of calling booking for print replacement..lol)

It was just this print of "GWTW", and it could have been this only print that we really had problems with. I noticed that the silver area of that print was much lighter than a usual silver based optical area (as with "Family Man") and this could have been our cause of the digital problems.

thx-Monte

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 08:29 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I am aware that the prints are 1.37 in an anamorphic frame. This is why we are running it on an afternoon by itself, so people will not see us going from our normal huge 1.37 flat picture to a much smaller flat picture. To the best of my knowledge, no full frame prints were struck from this release.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2005 09:39 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell, my mistake, I believe it was 'Wizard of Oz' which had a few 'proper' prints made for its last release, with the others being 1.37 within 1.85.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-18-2005 09:52 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it be possible to use the regular 1.33 backup lenses (thus giving the proper image height) with the anamorphic attachments? Yes, you'd have to crop the top and bottom edges of the frame slightly (unless you can raise the top masking from the normal 1.33 position), and, yes, you'd have to cut new plates (probably from pinhole plates), but this would probably be preferable to presenting a very small image. Might be worht a try, anyway.

If you want to test out your setup in advance, let me know. I have a defective reel from this release which would at least let you test various lens/plate/masking combinations.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 10:25 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting idea, Scott. I may give that a try, to see how it looks. My concern is these prints are rumored to be less than sharp, so the smaller picture mighn't actually look better in the long run.

Stephen, yes, it was Oz were some full frame IB Tech prints were struck.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-18-2005 12:32 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran GWTW during the re-release a few years back and we went to great trouble to hang extra masking on our screen so the picture would be properly masked. I thought sure we'd get endless questions about all that black cloth down there, but not one person said a thing.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 02-19-2005 09:13 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitchell, how far is your theatre from the Vince Lombardi service area on the Jersey Tpke?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2005 01:38 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how far is your theatre from the Vince Lombardi service area on the Jersey Tpke?

Under 10 miles.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-20-2005 01:54 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
to use the regular 1.33 backup lenses
I wanted to do this as well - use 1.33 with a shorter focus length backups for the scope lens, but we had the mini Schnieders anamorphics and had no access to a good ol' B&H Cinemascope attachment I or II to enlarge that picture to fit a flat screen.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-20-2005 08:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading years ago in a book about GWTW that it actually had its own aspect ratio. Due in part because process shots had to be offset to match picture film. This resulted in slight top to bottom cropping. This slight sropping was evedent on my 1950's release print.

Mark

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2005 10:14 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those process shots were inserted into the original negative for GWTW's widescreen 1.66:1 reissue in 1954. The original 1.37:1 elements no longer exist.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: