Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Potts Alpha Platter Payout issue

Author Topic: Potts Alpha Platter Payout issue
Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 01:19 AM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I have a "new" Potts Alpha 5 deck platter. My problem, platter 5 isn't paying out correctly. I tried different brains in it and had to run the first show tonight with the MUT. I wiggled the brain near the end of the first show and switched the platter to payout and it started working. I just so happen to be running 2 projectors of this platter system and I have a double feature tomorrow on the bottom 3 platters. I am going to have to splice both features together with an "intermission" in between.

The only thing I think it could be is that the contacts may be dirty or not contacting properly. Any Ideas?

How can I clean the contacts? Can alchohol work? I need to know before noon today. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 02:00 AM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you have the same problem with all your brains, or just the one? If its just the one, its probably the connector piece on the bottom. We had a similar problem, although it looked fine, it would always act up. Part of the plastic connector was busted off too. Replaced it, and haven't had a problem. I believe the connector part was around 15 bucks. We now keep a spare handy. Takes about 2 minutes to remove and replace. Good luck.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 10:04 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check both the male and female connectors of the motor on that deck too as well as the connector in the arm spindle. If you have the rotary selector switch on the arm these switches can develop a bad section.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-18-2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the platter drive motor actually run?

I agree with the above. Dirty, worn or pitted contacts in the rotary switch(es) can cause intermittent operation. Poor contact in the motor connections can cause problems too.

Another thing is that the rubber "tires" on the drive wheels can become worn, glazed or cracked and they won't get traction against the platter. Even though the motor runs it can't push the platter hard enough. Replacing the tires is quick and easy... Just go get some round rubber vacuum cleaner belts from the hardware store! [Smile]

Richard Greco
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Richard Greco   Email Richard Greco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motor actually does run. I wiggled the brain a bit and it started paying out at normal operating speed, but this is an intermittent problem and I don't know if it will work tonight or not. Since I have 3 MAJOR releases opening at once today, I can't afford to babysit the machine.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2005 12:28 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alcohol always has a positive affect on my brain !

Brent Neal Jones
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2005 12:29 PM      Profile for Brent Neal Jones   Email Brent Neal Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like that brain has been jammed in partly the wrong way before. This damages the connector. If not repairable, you may have to pull off that disk to access the hub and change out that connector. It's usually the female that's bad.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 02-21-2005 01:25 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try removing the cover that you take off to change the light bulb(s). Inside there should be a red and a blue wire that leads through the female connector in the center of the platter to the microswitch on the brain.

Wiggle and check the wires to be sure they are not loose and causing the intermittent.

Next, look down the hole where the brain goes. Ensure there is no crap or corrosion, etc. that could prevent the contacts from making a proper connection. Do the same for the bottom of the brain. I know you say the brain is OK but do the Sherlock Holmes method: Eliminate all possibilities until you are left with only one thing... That should be the cause. No?

If you DO determine that the contact(s) at the center of the platter are bad or there is a loose wire, I concur with the others. You'll probably have to take the deck off in order to get at it so you can fix it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: