Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Helios Slimline Xenon Bulbs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Helios Slimline Xenon Bulbs
Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2005 08:08 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any experience with the new LTI Helios Lamps. It is a slim line envelope that allows more light to pass by the envelope to allow one third more light that normal bulbs at the same rating. Thanks Guys.

|  IP: Logged

Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-16-2005 08:30 PM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use them. They will give you more light, but dont be fooled by the wattage rating. They still pull the same amps as a 7k bulb. We used them because they claimed that they would be easier on the lamphouses (strong highlight II.) Perhaps someone else can give you a more technical answer. I did get many more hours out of them than the rest of the LTI bulbs.

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2005 11:12 AM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chris for your reply. I was hopeing more would chime in on this bulb. I have a 2000 watt set up on my 66 foot screen and I was hoping to get a tad bit more light to help me out a couple of seasons until I can make some money to do something else. I am also limited to single phase! Anyone out there have anymore to add about this slime line bulb!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-20-2005 11:41 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a 66'screen one needs more tha 2K I would think about the strong switcher powersupply as it can do 3K on single phase
Also if one designs it properly 2 2K rectifiers can be parralled to supply 4K

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-20-2005 12:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Also if one designs it properly 2 2K rectifiers can be parralled to supply 4K

E-Mail the "Mighty Phil" on how to do this..... It does work extremely well!

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-20-2005 12:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mark said "the "Mighty Phil""
Mark do you relize what you said the ego will never let us talk to him again [Cool]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-20-2005 02:03 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
L.P. Associates have supplied me two conventional magnetic type 2kw rectifiers sharing the load to supply a 4 kw lamphouse. Each rectifier had a input power variac and meters installed on the power supplies to balance the load. There are single phase switchers now available to handle 3.5 - 4KW from other companies other than Strong.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-20-2005 03:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, do tell!

(Phil, you too. I am quite interested in that.)

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2005 05:17 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Money, if Money was no object, oh well. All of this info is good and I am sure that I will at sometime use it, but for the time being I am stuck!

I am only 178 feet from the screen, does this make a differnce? We have had this argument that distances are not that cirtical on light, but as a photographer, I know better! Since I am close, I would think, that would help. I am trying anything that I can to put just a little more light on this screen, a new bulb is due and this is not an added expense. I also, usually self circuit Drive In prints from a Drive in 5o miles away.

Buy the way, at 40x66 at 178 feet, how much light do I need to light a screen this size

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2005 11:28 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve..
The dual 2k rectifier setup does actually work. The Swan Drive-In in Blueridge, Georgia has that setup because of the lack of 3 phase.

Good to see you finally on Film-Tech

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-20-2005 11:58 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Barry

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 02-21-2005 12:00 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
JFC! Thanks alot MARK!!!!! How did I get dragged into this thread?

I've only paralleled THREE Strong 7K switchers for 15kW and 20kW lamps! Give me a break ya all!

OBTW: They DO work great! Hubba Hubba!

Hugs Mark & Gordie! I'm *STILL* talking to you both... but don't push your luck! HA! [Razz]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-21-2005 12:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you need a 6000-7000 watt lamp.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-21-2005 01:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that would be handy to know what make and model of lamphouse is it you have

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-22-2005 09:52 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Super Lumex with a 80 amp Strong Rectifier. We are looking at putting two of the Strong together to get up to the 4000 watts.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: