Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Marble Stereo Sound Processor Q

Author Topic: Marble Stereo Sound Processor Q
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-16-2005 07:29 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever dealt with a Marble "Stereo Sound Processor"? This is a grey 1U box with a fader and switches for "film/music" and "mono/stereo". This particular unit sounds bad and doesn't output anything when switched to "mono".

A cursory look at it would indicate that there are no internal adjustments for preamp gain or EQ, but I haven't yet looked at the back of the unit (in this installation, it must be removed from the rack in order to access the back panel). I'm not sure of the vintage of this unit. This is patched into the house system at a live theatre (which sounds fine with other sources). They run film occasionally, and I've told their sound guy that I'd try to help him work on improving the film sound. It's not a physical alignment (exciter/lens/cell) issue, as that was done recently by a tech who is presumed to be competent (I don't know him).

If anyone could scan a manual for this, that would be great. (And if anyone wants to donate a CP-650, that would be better!) [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 02-16-2005 07:49 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Picking my feeble memory the unit is a rebadged Smart stereo SR 135 unit. You will find the manual on the www.smartdev.com site

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-16-2005 08:58 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a SR135 there is no slitloss correction circuitbut the gain pots are I believe accesed through holes in the back cover (it has been a long time) There is no house eq one used there standalone 6 channel eq box for that
It does have a very quiet time delay line though

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 02-16-2005 04:19 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks! I downloaded the manual and it does appear to be the correct unit.

What's the general consensus on this box? Can it be made to be reliable and sound good with proper setup, given outboard EQ and good speakers (which the venue has)? Or should they be looking at a used CP50 or something else? I assume that the budget (if there is one) is low.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-16-2005 05:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hook it up and listen
they are not a cp50 by a long shot but also some sounded suprisingly good

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 02-23-2005 07:24 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to lack of time and the fact that they're running an SR print this week, the temporary fix was to swap the Marble box out for a CP65 (on loan from me). I'm not convinced that the Marble unit was set up correctly, but the Dolby box sounds substantially better, especially with respect to dialogue intelligibility (which was always a complaint). I got to do a B-chain with an RTA (thanks, Chris!) for the first time, which was interesting. I'll replace the Marble in a couple of months and set it up according to the manual.

So what is the standard practice for a theatre without surround speakers? Should the surround information be discarded completely, or should it be mixed into the L and R channels somehow? If the latter, how would one do this with a CP65? It would be easy with a custom format on a CP500, but that's not an option here, unless someone wants to make a tax-deductable donation. [Smile]

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2005 12:00 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually doing LCR without surround is pretty easy on a CP50 or 200 with an older Cat150 board. I don't know exactly when they dropped that ability but I know the 150E I have does not do it (if you select it the surrounds still run). I think it's Format 03.

What i'm not sure of is if the 150 just drops the surround or leaves it in L/R.

--Chris

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2005 11:39 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, when a SR-135 is switched to mono, only the center channel is feed. Check the center channel amps and speakers (maybe there is no center channel, which could be why dialog sounds bad).

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce, the amps/speakers are all in place for LCR. When Scott put in his CP65 and we EQ'ed it everything sounded great.

The house (a performing arts theatre) has no surrounds, but has some pretty decent amps/speakers for the stage.

Personaly I'm not a fan of the old Marble/Smart stuff... they are OK for personal screening rooms but not for commercial use. I'd rather use an old Smart Mod II or Dolby CP50 over those SR135's.

--Chris

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 02-24-2005 02:48 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Marble box was set up to do a straight L->L and R->R with no center. I don't have the manual here and don't remember if it was designed to do this or else perhaps the unit had been modified at some point. The center channel does not output anything in either "stereo" or "mono."

This is important because much of the material which this theatre is likely to show will be mono. I will delve into this more deeply when I reconnect the Marble unit in a couple of months.

I spoke with the theatre manager today and he commented that he was impressed with the improvements in sound quality.

Edit: Chris--that CP65 has a cat. 150E card, for whatever that is worth. I had been under the impression that format 03 (Dolby Stereo w/o surround) just didn't output the surround channel at all. Does it actually do something else with the out-of-phase information?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-24-2005 03:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 03 the matrix should not remove the s signal from the L and R

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-24-2005 06:56 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a "mono" adjustment on the back of the SR-135, could someone have turned it down?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: