Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reels with overflowing film?

Author Topic: Reels with overflowing film?
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 06:32 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past I handled a print of License to Kill, with a reel 6 that overflowed past the edge of the reel at least a half inch to one inch or so. I couldn't find a splice anywhere in the reel and the tail leader said reel 6 so it was a 6 reeler (last 2 weren't combined like I thought). My question is, why would they have made it this way, and have any other movies shipped like this? Were there special sized reels made for this print?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-14-2005 06:49 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no special reels. This was an issue prior to using polyester based film. I used to see it on occasion especially with a print that had the trailer attached by hand. The only secureity that was given was with tape taped over the film reel flang to reel flang.

Stewart Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 06:55 PM      Profile for Stewart Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Stewart Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your talking about "License to Kill (1989)" right? If so then this is probably a used print. In that case I'll bet the last projectionist to break that movie down couldn't find the "real reel splices", so he just made his own. [Roll Eyes]

Now after looking at IMDB.com, it looks like License to Kill was 113 minutes long. Thats more then six reels so not only did this "projectionist" create his own splices, he kept some reels for him self by consolidating [Mad] , then covering his tracks by splicing the tail of reel six to the end of the movie [Mad] [Mad] I can't believe the labs just left it like that for you.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-14-2005 07:13 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
I couldn't find a splice anywhere in the reel and the tail leader said reel 6
I tend to lean towards an actual over packed reel with acetate film. It was 133 mins though so that is packing a lot on the reels. Very curious. I handled this title when it originally came out. It does seem like it was 7 reels bit I can't remember exactly.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 07:17 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless my memory is really faulty, it was definitely a 6 reel print with no splice in between the UA logo at the end and the tail leader of reel 6. I recall the print had a tight wind and did have the tape like Darryl mentioned.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2005 10:18 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
License To Kill did have the extra long last 6th reel. The film exceeded the reel by about 4 or 5 minutes. No one seems to know why.

I remember a friend of mine who was the owner of a drive-in (with single 20 minute reels and 2 projector changeover) telling me that when he got the print of LTK evidently someone had cut off the last few minutes of the 6th reel so that it did not overflow. The projectionist didn't check and just started running the print. The film just ended in the middle of the scene where Bond has the cab of the truck up on two wheels. Lots of horns at the drive in that night when the film just ran out!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: